The experience of loss in the fishkeeping world

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
This is a brief article that I have written. I know a TFF user from my home city, Perth, who lost all of his fish caused by his sister in 2016. She didn't like him or his pets. I have discussed with him about it in one of my threads. An incompetent judicial system was the cause of it. That was one of the examples about the loss of fish they loved and kept. Loss is a hard thing and I myself had to deal with the loss of my dwarf gourami when he died today by burying him near a tree in the front yard of my house. Maybe you remember the fish, cleaned their tank and fed them everyday. But sometimes fish are gone too soon by a variety of causes.

Some causes of death might be overfeeding, viruses, parasites and fish TB. And it's hard to know the cause of death if you just saw the deceased fish unless a forum like TFF will help you. It's the circle of life sometimes. If you deal with such loss, one of the best things to do is remember them and bury them in the front yard instead of flushing them down the toilet. As with any pet, there will be loss of a loved one. There are fish that we all loved and hated during the time. Loss is hard for a fishkeeper, but they don't give up or quit after that loss. I did the right thing before my gourami died. That includes care. I care for my fish or at least I tried to since I'm still a beginner. Loss is inescapable to the mind of the fishkeeper. They will eventually deal with it when their fish die.

If we want to be serious, loss is unavoidable with all living things. We learn to cope and carry on, maybe enriched by the influence of what we lost.

I have no rituals when my favourite fish die, but since I breed my favourite fish, I often have their young to raise and to keep the ball rolling. In aquariums, the circle of life takes a little work, but it's absorbing.

Burial in the garden, or burial at sea doesn't matter to me, although the old dog I lost earlier this year is buried in the garden, and I visit the spot. I have one human graveyard across my street, and one behind my back fence (cue the quiet neighbour jokes). The intensity of what people feel for their pets has caused the graveyard behind me to allow pets to be buried with their people. It's a fairly recent business decision, and I think a good one. I don't think the owners of the graveyard are especially compassionate, but it is good for people contemplating moving into their 'development'.

Hang in there kid, and concentrate on the positives. Fish can be very short lived pets, but they can live well.

If we want to be serious, loss is unavoidable with all living things. We learn to cope and carry on, maybe enriched by the influence of what we lost.

I have no rituals when my favourite fish die, but since I breed my favourite fish, I often have their young to raise and to keep the ball rolling. In aquariums, the circle of life takes a little work, but it's absorbing.

Burial in the garden, or burial at sea doesn't matter to me, although the old dog I lost earlier this year is buried in the garden, and I visit the spot. I have one human graveyard across my street, and one behind my back fence (cue the quiet neighbour jokes). The intensity of what people feel for their pets has caused the graveyard behind me to allow pets to be buried with their people. It's a fairly recent business decision, and I think a good one. I don't think the owners of the graveyard are especially compassionate, but it is good for people contemplating moving into their 'development'.

Hang in there kid, and concentrate on the positives. Fish can be very short lived pets, but they can live well.
Yes, I agree with you. I didn't know that pets can be buried with their people owners.

Yes, I agree with you. I didn't know that pets can be buried with their people owners.
With all the fish, cats, dogs, birds, amphibians, reptiles and bugs I've outlasted as pets over the years, I would end up in a neolithic style burial mound or a low budget pyramid if that were common!

Even the traditional graveyard across the street, which doesn't allow pets, has a remarkable number of headstones with pictures of dogs and cats etched into them. We become very attached to other animals.

I've thought about getting a killie tattoo a few times, but that takes it to another level.

With all the fish, cats, dogs, birds, amphibians, reptiles and bugs I've outlasted as pets over the years, I would end up in a neolithic style burial mound or a low budget pyramid if that were common!

Even the traditional graveyard across the street, which doesn't allow pets, has a remarkable number of headstones with pictures of dogs and cats etched into them. We become very attached to other animals.

I've thought about getting a killie tattoo a few times, but that takes it to another level.
Wow, I hope you get your tattoo, @GaryE!

Most reactions

Back