The End Of White Spot Problems?

I for one will be keeping my fingers crossed that we`ll all be able to benefit from this research B-)

I am glad they mentioned the possibility of a food or liquid form at the end - I had images of trying to inject mollies!

I couldn't stick a needle in my poor fishies :(

Luckily, never really had much trouble with white-spot.

But this product would be a definate buy as a precaution if it goes through. :good:

James.

My only concerns will be price and availability. Undoubtedly the suppliers would be the ones administering the vaccine, and they would surely pass on any cost incurred. This would drive the price of fish up by quite a bit. Suddenly a $2 fish sells for $10, and there is no way to tell if they actually gave the vaccine to the fish for sale. We all know how trustworthy fish suppliers are.

If the vaccine does however actually make it to the shelves of LFS for customers to buy and administer themselves, this could be a breakthrough, but I would be afraid that the government would step in and make you go to a veterinarian to get it just like you have to go to a vet to get a rabies vaccination for your dog.

I didn't see any mention on how much it would cost though, so the numbers I stated above are purely speculation. If they can make it cheap enough, this would be a great precautionary measure, but it is actually not needed if you use adequate quarantine procedures and good judgment.

sounds like it is years away from being a viable functional product.

My only concerns will be price and availability. Undoubtedly the suppliers would be the ones administering the vaccine, and they would surely pass on any cost incurred. This would drive the price of fish up by quite a bit. Suddenly a $2 fish sells for $10, and there is no way to tell if they actually gave the vaccine to the fish for sale. We all know how trustworthy fish suppliers are.

If the vaccine does however actually make it to the shelves of LFS for customers to buy and administer themselves, this could be a breakthrough, but I would be afraid that the government would step in and make you go to a veterinarian to get it just like you have to go to a vet to get a rabies vaccination for your dog.

I didn't see any mention on how much it would cost though, so the numbers I stated above are purely speculation. If they can make it cheap enough, this would be a great precautionary measure, but it is actually not needed if you use adequate quarantine procedures and good judgment.

good point. but, surly, the administration would need to be by the importer/lfs. not the hobbyist! after all, the reason we have a white spot problem is, the fact, its endemic within the live stock supply chain.

I have never suffered it. indeed, suffered any disease in my tanks. but have helped, many, that have.

Most reactions

Back