The Cost Of Setting Up A 55 Gallon?

caboose_122

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi everyone! i was wondering how much it would cost for a basic 55 gallon saltwater tank would cost, i will be going to the lfs to see what there pricing is for live rock ect... any information on saltwater tanks would help

thanks
caboose_122

I am also just starting...let me tell you what it cost me.

The crushed coral + some sand was around 65$
The Water (I dont have an RO unit) cost 99 cents a galon premixed with salt water.. that cost 55$ for all of it.
I got my Protein skimmer, Sump + pump + Lighting fixtures (2x Coral life 50/50 96 watts) for a total of 150$ (This was all used but in almost out of the box condition.)
Starting it slow, I have 30lbs of LR at 6$ A lb...

in all: 450$..

All of the other goodies I had from my previous african tank.

Debating on if I want to get a UV Sterilizer...

I got lucky with nabbing the gear i got for 150$, but it can be done with some luck and people skills :p.

Hope this helps ya! Oh, and I'm a total noob at saltwater too :crazy:

-Zuk

P.S. The only problem I am having is getting the thing to begin its cycle, I have had it for a week now, and nothing has changed in the water. (after about 3 tests)

I wouldn't be surpized when you get all the nicknacks and other items you will be running a 1300 dollar bill.

I am also just starting...let me tell you what it cost me.

The crushed coral + some sand was around 65$
The Water (I dont have an RO unit) cost 99 cents a galon premixed with salt water.. that cost 55$ for all of it.
I got my Protein skimmer, Sump + pump + Lighting fixtures (2x Coral life 50/50 96 watts) for a total of 150$ (This was all used but in almost out of the box condition.)
Starting it slow, I have 30lbs of LR at 6$ A lb...

in all: 450$..

All of the other goodies I had from my previous african tank.

Debating on if I want to get a UV Sterilizer...

I got lucky with nabbing the gear i got for 150$, but it can be done with some luck and people skills :p.

Hope this helps ya! Oh, and I'm a total noob at saltwater too :crazy:

-Zuk

P.S. The only problem I am having is getting the thing to begin its cycle, I have had it for a week now, and nothing has changed in the water. (after about 3 tests)

thanks! good job on the bargain i actually just gound a 80 gallon with everything.

this is what it has:
80 GALLON SALTWATER AQUARIUM. Bought new in dec 2006. In excellent condition. Comes with a black wood stand, canopy with 2x48" lights. 80 pounds of premium live rock full of coralline, mushrooms and other growth, crushed coral substrate. Fluval 404, heater, powerhead, protein skimmer, test kit everything you will need including a perc clown, forktail blenny, blue chromis, 15 crabs, snails and shrimps. Tank is still up and running and you can view it as such. $600.00.cnd

i would upgrade the lights but thats about it, and its a awsome deal

Sounds like a bargin! not going to be fun moving it though.Best of luck to you.

lol i better start saving, im not going to be able to get that tank :angry: as im only 15 and i have just applied for my first job and i only have $20 in my bank right now :sad: and worst of all i emailed the guy to see were he is and he lives about 5 minutes from my house! i wish i had the money

also would it be ok if i added live rock every 1-2 weeks. thats saying if i even get my job :unsure:

that would be fine it will just start recycling your tank every time you add more live rock, i'd just save up and add it all at once when you have enough money :good:

alright so 50 pounds of live rock for a 55 gallon? what size power heads should i get i need lots of information on protein skimmers and stuff like that as i have no experience what so ever, i am going to the lfs tomorrow just to price up the live rock and the tanks and everything else just to get a faint idea for startup

alright so 50 pounds of live rock for a 55 gallon? what size power heads should i get i need lots of information on protein skimmers and stuff like that as i have no experience what so ever, i am going to the lfs tomorrow just to price up the live rock and the tanks and everything else just to get a faint idea for startup
POWER HEADS 2x SEIO M620 PROTEIN SKIMMER CORALIFE SUPER SKIMMER 65 gal

I'm about 2000$ into it. I have a 55G. My tank is about 8 months old now.

My setup is worth about 6000$. If you do it right and take your time you can find deals all over the internet. I bought everything off the internet, including my fish and coral.

Have fun!!!

I think a sump is great that way you can hide the hardware down there...ie the protein skimmer and other stuff. You can also grow/raise copeods among other things in there.

just for cichlids i am at 1300 so if you dont get any good deals you could be looking at 2grand for the tank. im including some fish but they probably are even more expensive

would i need a sump? if so is it cheaper to buy or make?

Way cheaper to do as much yourself as possible. melevsreef.com will give you an understanding about how sumps work as well as a lot of typs for acrylic fabrication. You don't have to use acrylic, you can use a standard glass tank if you dont want to actually make a tank. Still a good site to read through to figure out how a sump works cause the concepts are not entirely intuitive. For a standard 55g (48x12x18) you pretty much are limited to two 10g tanks for a sump or something custom, because stand width limits you.

Most reactions

Back