The Betta Bug Has Bitten

LauraFrog

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
My fave LFS... I love buying fish there because I know that they'll be healthy. This one is half tame as well.

It's a veiltail this time... I'd love to spawn him just to see what mixup ensues, but I won't because I have no room for fry. Usually I don't go for VTs but this one is an exception to the rule. He's a total mess - Cambodian base, mainly light pink body but in the light it has undertones of purple and pastel green. Fins are reddish pink with some iridescent green rays and blue tips. Head is marbled flesh, red and darker spots. He must have been in totally bad condition from shipping when I was last in there because I don't bother looking at the sicker ones - the LFS is better able to cure them than I am.

I'll put pics up later. I called him Valhalla (viking for warrior heaven)

He sounds great......can't wait to see pics :good:

Mmmmmmm but didn't you say you weren't allowed any more :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd like to see him too. I've read that red isn't a common trait with marbles. I have a boy myself who is marbled with red fins and think he's dreamy. Can't wait to see yours!

Netty: Mum is NOT HAPPY. 'Not allowed' doesn't necessarily mean I won't. It means I won't rescue bettas because they're in bad conditions or buy any that I can't live without. Valhalla falls into the 'can't live without' category. Here are the pics so you can see what I mean.
Constantine: Where's yours? I want to see him! This guy isn't properly marbled because there's no white on him, he's kind of blue/green marbled with pink, and his head is red marbled. He's just :drool:.

I had him in the 7 gallon with some juvie platies, but it didn't work out. I took these pics just before I moved him out because the filter is too strong for him. He looked fine yesterday but today his fins are all torn! :shout: I've had to put him in a 1.5, no choice because that's all I have open. I'm getting a new 5g tomorrow, I was planning on dividing it into two or maybe three, but he can have it to himself until I can get the equipment to split it. I put 1.5tsp salt in the temp tank, is that the right amount?

Anyway, this is Valhalla. Sorry about bad pics, he is VERY hard to photograph! You can see his colours, if not all the fine detail (like that his eyes are half amber, half sky blue). He has solid iridescent red scales scattered all over his body too. Would you call this a cambodian?

Attachments

• valhalla1.JPG
    valhalla1.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 31
  • valhalla2.JPG
    valhalla2.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 30
  • valhalla3.JPG
    valhalla3.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 28
  • valhalla4.JPG
    valhalla4.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 30
:crazy: :crazy: he is super. I though camboadin was pale with red fins but thats just me.....good find..I hope his splits heal.

:crazy: :crazy: he is super. I though camboadin was pale with red fins but thats just me.....good find..I hope his splits heal.

Yeah, cambodian is a light pink or white body with red fins. Some people have bred blue and green cambodians as well. He does have a pale body and darker fins but I don't think he's a true cambodian. He was sold as one. I think he's got cambodian in him though.

If I can find a decent VT female I am SO going to spawn him. People are always saying 'don't spawn multicoloured veiltails, it's a mixup of betta genes'. I say so what? There's a BIG demand for multicoloured fish around here, so I have a better chance of finding homes for the fry than if I bred pure strains that cost a fortune.

BTW - thanks for the compliments! See why I can't keep out of LFS? lol :wub:

He will be just fine.

While stuck temporarily in a boring, small and bare tank....

....he's building a nest.

Bettas.

:huh: :sly: :whistle:

:drool: :drool: :drool: definately the "can't live without" category. He's gorgeous :good:

i have a VT very simalar to that too, just without the pastel green, he has a slight touch of blue on the edges of his tail when the light catches him properly, he was one of the bettas i bred this week too!

heres patch:

BILD0079.jpg

BILD0083.jpg

Both nice fish. I LOVE metallic bettas. The only one I have is a rescue, Moonshine. He's very timid after being badly mistreated. I don't know if I'll ever be able to spawn him, he's very hard to flare and extremely nervy.

Is that female a VT? I always get confused. You can't really see her anal fin clearly in that photo. Females are HARD to tell apart.

You aren't going to believe this - there's ANOTHER ONE.
I was in a small country town next to my own small country town, barely 10000 people in it and there are THREE PETSHOPS. One isn't open yet, it's a chain store no doubt going to try and drive out the locals. If they pull dirty tactics I'll organise a boycott. The first one I was in had a Strudel clone (check out Netty's sig). I wanted him, but I didn't buy him. I'm glad I didn't because the next shop I was in there was something even nicer.
Crowntail, longfin, DDR, crossray, purple, turquoise, lavender and pastel green, marble butterfly.

Well he is quite gorgeous!
And it's awesome that you named him Valhalla b/c we're actually looking at houses on a street named Valhalla! heh

This is my guy:
fish247-1.jpg

And here his fins are torn from jumping the divider to get to another male. Bad idea. The other guy won. He's healing nicely though.

fish446-1.jpg

Most reactions

Back