Tetratec1200, Flow And Circulation

I dont use the spraybar at all on my tetratec ex1200. like cynic said its only to create a nice rippling effect for us to see, Iv just got a 90/elbow aimed at a slight angle towards the back of the tank, this creates a perfect flow of water and plenty of ripples on the surface to provide oxygen in my 180litre juwel, my inlet is at the opposie end of the tank, oh and the water is crystal clear aswell :shifty:

would it be possible to take a picture or video of this?
Scotty can email u a pic if u send me ur email address, do u want a pic of how the the elbow 90 is positioned?

I've got two EX1200s in my 5 footer and the spray bars do more than just ripple the surface and make it look pretty. For one they make the water flow in a barrel like circular motion keeping my substrate free of any detritus and secondly it forces the CO2 deeper into the water column. However, last week i removed both spray bars and chucked in a 4000 LPH power head. I'd challenge anyone to find a dead spot in there now, its quite choppy from 9am to 9pm :D

I would highly recommend a 900 LPH Hydor Nano Powerhead for a tank your size, it would (most likely) solve your problem.

I've got two EX1200s in my 5 footer and the spray bars do more than just ripple the surface and make it look pretty. For one they make the water flow in a barrel like circular motion keeping my substrate free of any detritus and secondly it forces the CO2 deeper into the water column. However, last week i removed both spray bars and chucked in a 4000 LPH power head. I'd challenge anyone to find a dead spot in there now, its quite choppy from 9am to 9pm :D

I would highly recommend a 900 LPH Hydor Nano Powerhead for a tank your size, it would (most likely) solve your problem.

where do you position the spraybars as mine seem to move all the sand at the front of the tank?

where do you position the spraybars as mine seem to move all the sand at the front of the tank?

I'll take a wild guess you used play sand? Thats what i had to start with, recently changed over to cat litter. I would recommend a heavier sand or ditch the spray bar and add a powerhead. Unfortunately its one of those things. Even the cat litter carried on thinning out along the front of the tank when i put it in. At least now i dont spend half the evening elbow deep pulling the sand forwards again! :D In fact you can see the dips in the pic in my signature, slight W shape. :D

Any of the Unipac stuff you find in most aquatic shops is a lot heavier than play sand. I wouldn't say it will totally cure the problem but it would certainly move less.

Its going to cost you £40 in sand so I'd still go with a power head for £20 and no spray bar first of all ;)

Any of the Unipac stuff you find in most aquatic shops is a lot heavier than play sand. I wouldn't say it will totally cure the problem but it would certainly move less.

Its going to cost you £40 in sand so I'd still go with a power head for £20 and no spray bar first of all ;)

so do you just take the spraybar off and position the outlet pipe along the back of the tank?

so do you just take the spraybar off and position the outlet pipe along the back of the tank?

Go experiment ;)

Most reactions

Back