Tetratec Ex700

superman1

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hello

i currently have the above filter for my 180 litre tank.. but the problem i am having is when i put my hand over the out pipe (the pipe that should be sending water back into the tank) i feel hardly any pressure at all. am i right in thinking this isnt normal... the flow valves are on full but it doesnt seem to be turning as much water as i was hoping.. going by the rule of having to turn over 180litres 5 x per hour what external filter would be best suiting for my tank as i have quite afew fish so ideally would like to be having alot of filtration..

thanks. any help is much appreaciated.,... my stocking in my tank is listed below.

thanks

Did you prime it with the little hand pump on the top of the filter?

Sorry to ask a daft question but did you open the valves on the pump head - these are green I think?

Also there may be some air trapped in the canister. Tip it over 30 degrees or so then place it bak upright...

Did that work?

well the filter has been running for about 2 months.. the green valvles on the cannister are in the open psition.. i also when starting i did te pump thing for ages and all bubbles are out as i did the whole tilting too... so defo all air bubbles are out...

Right, have you cleaned out the media? If so, great, follow below, if not, in between steps 1 and 3, clean out the media before continuing.

1) Empty the canister,
2) Empty the hoses,
3) Check the impeller is free to move and that the whole pump head is clean, with nothing blocking any tubes,
4)Re-assemble the canister and hose assemblies,
5) Press the prime button once/twice to start it syphening (the power should be off at this point),
6) Go make and drink a cup of tea while it fills (the power should still be off),
7) Plug in and switch on,
8) Ensure some water is being pumped
9) Allow it to run for an hour or so before checking the flow.

Did that work? It's basically just re-priming it after checking over the innerds... You must prime it empty, or you get flow killing arilocks... For some reason, simply re-priming a filtrer that's playing up will often fix the issue.

If that diden't work, do you have any unusual noises comming from the filter? If so, what do they sound like?

If you have low flow and nothing is visibly damaged, try running it without media in. If the flow recovers without media, you need to clean the media out. If the flow does not recover, you need to contact Tetratec for a warrently service since it's still fairly new.

There won't be a great deal of feelable "pressure", but if you are getting a normal output from the hose, you don't have any issues :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Right, have you cleaned out the media? If so, great, follow below, if not, in between steps 1 and 3, clean out the media before continuing.

1) Empty the canister,
2) Empty the hoses,
3) Check the impeller is free to move and that the whole pump head is clean, with nothing blocking any tubes,
4)Re-assemble the canister and hose assemblies,
5) Press the prime button once/twice to start it syphening (the power should be off at this point),
6) Go make and drink a cup of tea while it fills (the power should still be off),
7) Plug in and switch on,
8) Ensure some water is being pumped
9) Allow it to run for an hour or so before checking the flow.

Did that work? It's basically just re-priming it after checking over the innerds... You must prime it empty, or you get flow killing arilocks... For some reason, simply re-priming a filtrer that's playing up will often fix the issue.

If that diden't work, do you have any unusual noises comming from the filter? If so, what do they sound like?

If you have low flow and nothing is visibly damaged, try running it without media in. If the flow recovers without media, you need to clean the media out. If the flow does not recover, you need to contact Tetratec for a warrently service since it's still fairly new.

There won't be a great deal of feelable "pressure", but if you are getting a normal output from the hose, you don't have any issues :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Thanks alot for that. i will give that a go and see how it goes. just to mention all the media in the canister is new (about 2-3 months old)

Mr tetra tec help desk can help but ive tried all of his options.. at least there are people out there willing to help without gaining anything themselves... or come up with smart a** comments..

anyway to let you know i cleaned the filter out and there was alot of crap blocking the pipes that were not see through. i cleaned the whole thing and the tank as i was bored and now there running alot more sufficiently.

thanks for all the help.... much appreaciated.

Mr tetra tec help desk can help but ive tried all of his options.. at least there are people out there willing to help without gaining anything themselves... or come up with smart a** comments..

anyway to let you know i cleaned the filter out and there was alot of crap blocking the pipes that were not see through. i cleaned the whole thing and the tank as i was bored and now there running alot more sufficiently.

thanks for all the help.... much appreaciated.

Good to hear. That's the best way to tell when the filter/tubes/pipework need cleaning. As soon as you see the water flow dropping, time for maintenance. I find I need to clean the tubes/pipework every month or so, as they don't look too attractive when they start to gunge up. The filters (I have a 700 and a 600 on my 4ft tank) get serviced alternately a month apart every three/four months. Just remember to use the filter media until it's falling apart. I've had the 700 for just over two years now and still have the original media in there. Try another bag of ceramic noodles in the bottom tray - there's plenty of room in there.

how often should the white wool and activated carbon be changed as the website says once every month..

thanks

how often should the white wool and activated carbon be changed as the website says once every month..

thanks

The fine white wool should be changed regularly, as it clogs much quicker than sponges. If you're not using carbon to take medications out of the water, you don't really need it - though I'd always keep some handy just in case it's ever needed. Use the space for more filter media.

ok cool. well i havent changed my wool since ive had the tank running so i reckon changing that may help with the water flow.

will do that now and change the activated carbon.

Most reactions

Back