Tetra Safestart?

AshBreed

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I went into a lfs today so that I could get a few bits ready to cycle my tank when it arrives and the staff in there was going mad about the new product by Tetra, Safestart.

Apparently your tank should be cycled in a few days and ready for fish??????

Sounds too good to be true to me but I was wondering if anyone has tried this yet?

Yes I have and no it didn't cycle it, but hope that doesn't stop you trying it if you want to. Can work out quite expensive if you have a large tank too. So you're nearly ready then Ash? How long before your tank arrives?

Should be here in a couple of weeks, I hate waiting for stuff. Suppose thats the price you have to pay for a custom tank.

Filter should arrive in the next couple of days so was thinking about running it on my 10 gallon until the tank arrives. Can't hurt I suppose?

I used BIOSPIRA when setting up the 110, you add fish and bottle at the same time. it worked perfectly, never lost a fish and these are Tanganyikans, more sensitive to water conditions then mbuna.

jump starting your filter on the 10 wouldnt hurt one bit.

If you have heard of BioSpira from the US then it is essentially the same thing - based on nitrosospira.

Tetra was relatively recently taken over by a US company Spectrum Brands who also own MarineLand Labs who produce BioSpira. So it made sense to use the better branding of Tetra and the German manufacturing plant for Europe.

Somehow however they have managed to remove the need to refrigerate as with BioSpira but it must be kept below 30c.

Will be interesting to see how wholesalers and retailers guarantee to keep it below this temperatures - especially this week...

Have used Safestart and it worked for me.

Two weeks later I now have Apisto fry being herded around by a proud mother.

Make sure you shake the bottle, I also dosed with ammonia for a few days instead of adding fish to make sure it was working. Didn't really want to take a chance on £90 worth of fish.

I would use it in conjunction with a fishless cycle rather than just dumping your fish in immediately.

Most reactions

Back