Tetra isolating itself

rebeledd

Reaction score
I have four young emperor tetra, and three adult fire tetra. I noticed this evening that one of the emperor tetra keeps floating on its own at the top of the tank. Every now and again, it joins the others but then splits off again. Should I be concerned / am I worried unnecessarily? Thanks.

It could just be the “outcast” of the group. I have one like this in my Neon Tetra group.

I recommend getting a couple more Emperor Tetras. They prefer to be in groups of 6 or more.

Thanks for the speedy response :) I started reading about Tetra disease and started worrying it was that. I guess more symptoms would appear if it was something like that. Thank you!

Just a bit on edge as my filter packed up yesterday. Have been getting a replacement going today.

Thanks for the speedy response :) I started reading about Tetra disease and started worrying it was that. I guess more symptoms would appear if it was something like that. Thank you!
No problem! It’s completely normal nothing to worry about. :fish:

Just a bit on edge as my filter packed up yesterday. Have been getting a replacement going today.
Did you remove the bb from your old filter, and transfer it to the new one? Do so, or you will loose your cycle.

Yes I did :) Unfortunately it was only a couple of small sponges, as I only switched to the canister filter with the aquarium upgrade 3 weeks ago. The sponge I transferred was from my small Interpet PF2 filter.

Yes I did :) Unfortunately it was only a couple of small sponges, as I only switched to the canister filter with the aquarium upgrade 3 weeks ago. The sponge I transferred was from my small Interpet PF2 filter.
Sounds good. As long as you got a little bit in the new filter. :good:

I don't mean to scare or worry you, but this in my view is not normal. The isolation fish may have some health problem, but these are usually very difficult to ID as external symptoms may be absent or misleading. The sheltering in an upper corner can be from aggression, water issues, or internal protozoan.

Which brings me to aggression. Tetras are shoaling fish that live in large groups, and they must have adequate sized groups of their own species in an aquarium. Emperor Tetras (species is Nematobrycon palmeri) can get a bit feisty, so this is a species I would never suggest be fewer than 7-8, and preferably 9-10. They can develop quite an hierarchy, I've had to get rid of them for just this issue. Getting a few more if you want to keep this species would be strongly advised. However, don't expect that to "cure" the isolated fish, it will likely not recover regardless of what is the issue.

Which species are "fire tetra?" If by chance it is Aphyocharax rathbuni, which I have seen under this common name, you may have more trouble, as all species in this genus are feisty to say the least. It too needs a much larger group, but its fin nipping may become an issue regardless so think this through. I've no idea what other fish you have or intend, nor the tank size.

You may want to consider adding Tetra SafeStart plus to be safe. Most tetra need 6 or more in their shoals, I have several shoals in my 55 gallon tetra tank, the biggest is 14 glow light tetras.

@Byron, should I be concerned about my “outcast” neon tetra? I know it’s a he, because it’s super small.

It stays away from the group, and have trouble feeding sometimes. Other than that, he is perfectly normal.

@Byron, should I be concerned about my “outcast” neon tetra? I know it’s a he, because it’s super small.

It stays away from the group, and have trouble feeding sometimes. Other than that, he is perfectly normal.

Impossible to say. In the case of the OP's fish, it is clearly showing signs of high stress and that can be aggression or disease.

Most reactions

Back