Tetra help

lashleyabi

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can help me please?
About a month ago I bought my daughter 3 x neon tetras and 3 x glow light tetras.
We lost 1 unfortunately after 2 weeks.
Then a week later we lost another 3 and and now a week later we’ve lost another one!
The pet shop advised we did 2x 50% water changes a week apart because of high ammonia levels in the water. We’ve done these two changes when we only had two fish left and they seemed much happier but now another has gone and we’ve only one fish left and I’m at a loss of what to do now. Maybe we were already too late to save it?
I’ve attached a photo of the one we lost yesterday and the 3 that we lost a couple of weeks ago so you can see how I found the fish 😢 The latest one seems to have blood around its gills and eyes look swollen. They have all lost their colour too.
We’ve been testing the water with strips regularly and putting tap safe, filter booster and a aloe solution into the water during the changes as per the pet shops advice.
Owing fish is a lot harder than I anticipated and I’m finding it really distressing 😔
Any help of advice welcome 🙏
79BCA16C-3D6E-473F-891E-DB43A00F8002.jpeg
7E3C66D8-F73D-49C9-846F-4D7979FDE0F1.jpeg

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If the tank is newly set up, it probably hasn't developed the good filter bacteria yet and that is causing ammonia and nitrite problems, which is killing the fish.

The easiest way to deal with ammonia and nitrite problems is to do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the levels are 0ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.,

Reduce feeding to 2-3 times a week for the next month. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding.

Don't add anymore fish until the tank has cycled and everyone has been happy for at least 1 month.

Most reactions

Back