Tetra Disease

Trance2006

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
What's the name of that Tetra disease where it can affect a Tetra and kill other fish in the process? Is it a rare or common disease?

Its called tetra diease because thats where they firdt found it in.

i dont really know if it is rare or not but i have never inconder it.

-Alex

I see, but can you provide more info? Something specific, I tend to never y Tetras because of this

do you mean neon tetra disease? if so its caused by a parasite & it CAN infect other fish. we used to have neons but sadly all succumbed to this horrible disease. i dont know a lot more about it just have knowledge of the effects. if it is what you mean im sure a google search will bring up more info.

What you have probably heard of is "Neon Tetra Disease", or NTD. The name is hopeless. It was first isolated in the species, but can affect many species, not just tetras, certainly Cyprinids, (Barbs, Danios, etc.), can contract it.

It is a parasitic infection by sporozoans. These are cyst forming parasites which develop typically in the muscle. Their growth tends to force the fish out of shape, they become bent or "corrugated" in appearance. It is a contagious condition, and not economically worth treating. In cases where sporozoan parasitism is CERTAIN, the best way forward is euthenasia of the affected fish, and disposal by cremation.

The poor hygiene in many low price fish farms and stockists have made this once rare condition, an everyday experience.

hi i cant believe i didnt think of asking this question on here but 2 of my 5 neon tetras are out of shape but feed fine and swim ok, ive been trying to cure them in my hospital tank nothing works.
if it will effect my other fish should i get rid of them?

and how should i get rid of them?

plz help :sad:

So even mollies can get it. Well that answers my question thanks

Most reactions

Back