Tetra/barb Community Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Andrew G

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

Here's a photo of my recently re-designed community tank with new plantings and substrate.
Hope you enjoy it.

(A 40 gal African Cichlid tank is in the planning phase).

Looks good.
Are they real plants??

Do you have any close up pics of the fish?>>

Looks awesome! I love the rocks and substrate. :)

If I can say one thing though, like clay roper, I think the small plants in the foreground would look even better if they were placed in clumps, or in less of an organised way.

What fish do you have in there? That blue one on the right is beautiful.

Looking great :good: the plants at the front look a little uniformed. Also as asked what fish do you have in there :)

Thanks for the advice and replies.

I think you're right about the foreground plants....a little too even. I'm relocating them today.

The fish are as follows:
3 Tiger Barbs
1 Albino Tiger Barb - the orange one.
3 White Skirt Tetras - 2 blue and one pink
1 Cory Cat

Those "white skirt tetras" you have are actually just dyed black skirt tetras and are more commonly called fruit loop tetras, I have some and they came from my sister and she had no idea what dying was so I suggest buying actual black skirt tetras in the future.

No they aren't Loko, they are natural....... Like you said fruitloop tetras are dyed, white skirts natural.

Id personally replace the plastic plants with real ones, other than that looks not to bad.

I've had real, as well as fake plants. Although real plants provide a more natural ecosystem, they don't often grow well without lot's of care, light and fertilizer. This is often followed by an eccessive growth of algae.

For a great looking tank, I prefer fake plants over real. With proper tank maintenance, you can provide your fish with an excellent, healthy ecosystem.

No they aren't Loko, they are natural....... Like you said fruitloop tetras are dyed, white skirts natural.
They are the same fish, they are dyed...and if white skirts are natural and they look the same as dyed black skirts then why dont the fish breeders/dyers save themselves the trouble and just breed/buy white skirts?

They are the same fish, they are dyed...and if white skirts are natural and they look the same as dyed black skirts then why dont the fish breeders/dyers save themselves the trouble and just breed/buy white skirts?

White skirts are just a white version of black skirts... if the fish are blue, pink or some unnatural colour then you are spot on, they're dyed. But these are just a different colour variation. :)

Black/White Skirt Tetra

Most reactions

Back