Testing The Water

DyArianna

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have searched my directions for my API test kit and do not find an answer. Is there an optimum time of day to test your water? It would make sense that for some time after a feeding that Ammonia levels could be affected. So should your tests be run first thing in the morning? I also wonder if after having the lights on for so many hours can affect the readings. Any thoughts? It makes sense to test at the same time of day to get a good idea....but what time of day? Thanks in advance!

Interesting question. I never gave it much thought. I tested whenever.
But just ran my first test since August, my stats have been rock steady for a year.

I would not take feeding into the equation as food takes time to begin rotting down. To be honest i personally would not take any of those things into the equation seeing how API are hardly the most accurate things out there. If it makes you feel more secure then you could always test at the same time each day, after all, it's more about knowing your tank is stable than anything.

I have always tested in the evenings and have also been steady with results. Perhaps my brain is over thinking this. lol You say API is not that reliable...but you see it recommended constantly. I understand the Nitrate solution needs to be shaken hard and knocked around. What do you use and recommend?

Oh API is pretty reliable and I myself use it as the stuff that is totally accurate costs ridiculous amounts and is just not necessary for the vast majority of tanks. I just meant that i was not sure API tests would even pick up any changes made by these things unless they were pretty substantial, which i would not imagine is likely.

My apologies! Misread! :) I can see your point though. So it is reasonable to just go on the routine of time theory to get a reliable baseline. And that is what I do. Thanks for the input you two!

Can you please advise about cleaning the test tubes after testing - what do you use to clean them?? Just plain tap water??

I always do mine just before feeding. I just scoop a cupfull of water out, fill the test tubes and then watch the fish feeding which gives the tests enough time to settle and finish properly.
Not sure if there is a right or wrong way but that's the routine I've stuck to and never had any problems.

Very interesting, never thought of that.  I usually test in the afternoon/late afternoon on weekends (in between the morning and evening feedings).  I'll try testing before breakfast (their breakfast, not mine!) and see if that's any different...

This is an interesting issue. In fact the parameters do change throughout a 24 hour day. If one does a planted tank this is easy to see. During the day the plants take up co2 but at night they don't. Change the co2 balance and it will change the pH. Change the pH and it will change the toxicity of any potential ammonia present.

I have not found any good information about the changes that happen specifically in tanks, but there is lots of literature on how it works in the outdoor ponds where fish are farmed (aquaculture). While it is a big difference, the principles at work are the same. So if you are curious to see this in relation to ammonia, you might want to read here. It's pretty easy to understand and a lot of it would apply, to some extent, in a tank,

Daily pH Cycle and Ammonia Toxicity http://www.ca.uky.edu/wkrec/pH-Ammonia.htm

Also regarding testing and rinsing. Clean the test tubes and cap both after testing and then the next time before testing. After rinsing in tap water right before testing, rinse with tank water as well to get any chlorine/chloramine out.  And don't forget to do the caps with the vials.

When testing it is best not to take the water from near the surface where oils and other things tend to collect as they can throw off test results. Get the water from more like mid-level. If you clean your vials properly, you should be able to put them, open end down, into the tank about half way down and then invert them to let in the water. Then pour out enough to get it to the line. A good trick here is to fill the cap so if you take out a bit too much you can add back from the cap. Alternatively, you can use one vial as the designated scooper and never worry about accidentally getting something nasty into the tank. Scoop with the designated vial and pour from there into the actual test vial.

Never use your bare finger to cover the vial when mixing the reagents. Be sure to use the cap.

Thanks for all the great info guys!  Here's another question for you.  I have livebearers.  Do you think it is possible for non-viable fry or even eggs that are prematurely birthed to cause a small spike in readings of some sort?  I know that occasionally I will get a slight reading of ammonia when I do my tank maintenance and then I will be fine for a few weeks.  Nothing huge and always rectified with water changes but it did spark my curiosity as for what the reason might be. 

Most reactions

Back