Testing PH/KH/Gh

I tend to be very direct, because I don't pussyfoot around, lol, so don't take this the wrong way.

There is no way you can know the fish are "healthy." The fact that fish live and seem OK to us does not mean they are; fish cannot talk to us, so we have no way of knowing this. Our only course is to provide what they "expect" and not add stress. Fish like most animals have a strong will to live, and they will do their best to make the best of what we force upon them. They have no choice. A dog kept in a crate its entire life and fed low quality food may well live a normal lifespan, but that does not mean it is healthy. And being a mammal, it is easier for us to see the likely state of its health. With fish this is impossible, unless the situation becomes overwhelming and the fish succumbs.

Substantial water changes are scientifically proven to improve fish health. There is no substitute. No filter, no additive, nothing can replace the benefit of a water change. Changing 50-70% once each week will always mean healthier fish, that is a certainty. If you were to spend several months studying fish physiology you would comprehend this very readily. Discus breeders will tell us that performing 90-95% water changes once and even twice each day significantly improves the health and growth of fry. The reason why is not unfathomable. There is no miracle drug to equal the water change.
I hear you :)

This tank was originally set up ad a quarantine tank and then moving house I kept using OA during those few months. I became worried about weaning off it because it appeared everything was well

The GH will always be higher than KH I had ridiculously hard water 19-22 drops invested in an RO system and now weather quality is KH3, GH5, PH7, and very little algae
My local shop sells RO so I could pick some up there. My water is slightly harder than ideal even when I revert away from using OA.

Would it be okay to keep RO water in a water carrier for long periods though? Because I wouldn't be going to the shop weekly.
I'd only be using RO as top up water. Not for my regular water change

I keep it for a couple of weeks ok, your local lfs should be able to advise longest possible time

RO is not the answer necessarily. We still do not have the GH, KH and pH of the source water, and until we know those we/you are just guessing and experimenting.

RO is not the answer necessarily. We still do not have the GH, KH and pH of the source water, and until we know those we/you are just guessing and experimenting.
You are correct Byron, assuming tap water and possibly something in the tank is causing the high values, RO will still help reduce the levels in the short term whilst further investigation is undertaken

Update:
I tested my tap water and it reads PH 7.6
KH 125ppm GH 143ppm.
I've also tested my tap water after leaving out for 48 hours with and without the gravel. - PH 7.6, KH 125ppm. GH 161ppm. So a slight rise in GH compared to straight out of the tap, but no further rise with gravel.

After further investigation what do you guys think is causing the rise of GH in the tank? Is it a ccase of only changing 25% of the water every 4 weeks along with topping up evaporation water with tap water?

Update:
I tested my tap water and it reads PH 7.6
KH 125ppm GH 143ppm.
I've also tested my tap water after leaving out for 48 hours with and without the gravel. - PH 7.6, KH 125ppm. GH 161ppm. So a slight rise in GH compared to straight out of the tap, but no further rise with gravel.

After further investigation what do you guys think is causing the rise of GH in the tank? Is it a ccase of only changing 25% of the water every 4 weeks along with topping up evaporation water with tap water?

Are you saying the two buckets of water both increased in GH, the one with the gravel and the other without gravel?

Are you saying the two buckets of water both increased in GH, the one with the gravel and the other without gravel?
Yes. Both increased it. Basically from 7 drops to 8 drops of API

Yes. Both increased it. Basically from 7 drops to 8 drops of API

To me, this says the GH of the source water is 8 dGH, equivalent is 143 ppm. The aquarium water seems to be the same.

To me, this says the GH of the source water is 8 dGH, equivalent is 143 ppm. The aquarium water seems to be the same.
When I test my GH on aquariam water it takes 21 drops.

The KH takes 7 drops

When I test my GH on aquariam water it takes 21 drops.

The KH takes 7 drops

Then there is some calcareous substance in the tank that is dissolving calcium/magnesium into the water.

Then there is some calcareous substance in the tank that is dissolving calcium/magnesium into the water.
I'm baffled as to what that can be. My tank consists of.
Pea gravel
Driftwood
Peat Moss
Live plants

I'm baffled as to what that can be. My tank consists of.
Pea gravel
Driftwood
Peat Moss
Live plants

It has to be something. What is the pea graveel composed of, can you find a link to the manufacturer? Plants and peat moss cannot do this, if anything they would lower the GH (plants anyway) though minimally. Driftwood could only do this if it somehow has these minerals leeching out (not likely I wold have thought), unless it is petrified wood which I have read can increase GH.

Top ups cannot do this to the extent here, so far as I know, but if someone with more chemistry background says differently I won't argue, though I think it very unlikely.

You should however be doing more substantial water changes, regardless. Once each week, change 60-70% of the tank volume. This will ensure more stable water, and healthier fish, regardless of anything else.

Most reactions

Back