Testing, Heating, Light

PSUalum

Reaction score
I'm doing my first ever cycle (fishless) in my 10 US gallon tank. I have an API Master Test kit and tested the water characteristics from tap and before ammonia. I have slowly added pure ammonia, testing as I added to ensure not to over add.

Here are my questions:

1) I'm having trouble deciphering whether my ammonia test results are dark enough to match the 4 ppm color on the test chart. I could post a picture of mine if necessary but it would help the most if someone had a picture of their 4 ppm ammonia result.

2) I'm currently using an Elite 25w heater to heat this 10 gal tank. Is this sufficient or am I overworking this heater? (Currently around 84 deg F for cycling)

3) My lighting consists of (2) 10w Fluorescent bulbs and I'm planning on adding some hearty plants such as Java Ferns, Anubias, and I just bought an Amazon sword. Will this lighting be adequate for a moderately planted tank?

Thanks in advance!
- Greg

I'd like to add this is my first cycling day*

Hi PSUalum,

I can only answer about the ammonia test results. It's very difficult to tell what shade of green that test shows in artificial light. Is there any way you could see in in actual daylight? If you can you will see the correct shade instantly.

Hi PSUalum and Welcome to TFF!

1) Judging test result colors: My first choice, for practicality, is to put a hooded incandescent light source (eg. an incandescent lightbulb in a metal shade like a desk spotlamp) between me and the sample, which I hold at arms length with the test tube against the white portion of the card. I look at the center color portion, not the portions of liquid shadowed by the tube curvature and I always try to keep in mind I'm matching "hue", not brightness. I use incandescent because most forms of fluorescent add green. Daylight can also be quite good but I find that less practical on a regular basis.

BUT, more important than the above and harder to learn is that often a really detailed reading is NOT important! In fishless cycling we really just have a few key feedback hints we are looking for. In your case, you simply want to be sure the ammonia doesn't have a chance of being high enough to look anything like 8ppm (where a different species of bacteria can take hold) and you don't want it super-faint. Anything in the 2 to 6ppm range roughly is going to work out ok, so you're already probably trying hard enough. (And to continue that thought, a lot of the feedback we want is just whether the substance "is there or not" and rather roughly at what level.. often our log will help us see the trend even when an individual reading seems confusing or off. Having an aquarium notebook and especially a daily log of results during cycling is very important.)

2) Heater requirements: This too is another rough analog sort of thing. The general starting rule of thumb is 5 watts per 1 US gallon (meaning you're doing fine with your 25w) but the assumption is that the aquarium is sitting in a room of a comfortably heated human household. When hobbyists place tanks on sun porches or in garages or basements, they have to re-think the heating aspect since the heater may have to work harder or the situation may be even more extreme and require insulation. A 25w is the practical lower end and thus serves as what you need for a 10g, however it's also interesting to know that the rule of thumb is also based on not having too much power present such that if the thermostat got stuck in the on position the fish would cook. This is less a concern in recent years I think but can still happen occasionally. Also note that numbers on a heater don't represent reality, you have to use a separate (spirit, whatever) thermometer to "set" your heater (the numerical dial can often be re-seated on the rheostat once the real temp has been established, the going on of the little light being your sign that the internal thermostat is at the setpoint.)

3) Tank lighting: Two 10w tubes on a 10g will put you right at the high end (actually a bit too high in my opinion, but I'm not sure how I'd cut in down practically) of the brightness you want. My assumption of course is that with a common 10G you are not planning a fancy planted setup with pressurized CO2 equipment (and you mentioned the plants and said moderate.) You will possibly have to counteract your extra brightness with a bit shorter photoperiods (periods when your timers have the lights turned on).. Ideally I'd consider two simple lamp timers if your tubes are in separate strip fixtures and then you can do step-up, step-down with only one lamp going for beginning and ending periods of the day more or less. Light is the "driver" of all the other plant issues, the brighter it is the faster everything else goes and the more difficult it becomes to control things, but the right brightness is also of course much needed. If you've already obtained plants, you will need to feed them (and right away) because they will quickly starve in a new tank. You will be doing what we call "low-light-technique" (the 1 to 2 w/g range) and will need to feed them liquid carbon and a low dose of macro and micro nutrients (again, this is my opinion and not gospel as many may feel you can get by maybe with a pinch or two of fishfood (this supplies a lot of nitrogen phosphorus in my experience, two of the 17 nutrients they need) until the fish begin fertilizing them with waste (again, giving them some N and P, in my opinion).. if you let us know your location (ie. USA, UK or whatever) then we can advise further on ferts commonly used. And an idea of your water hardness will also help. Fishless cycling with plants in is a tad trickier in that you need to minimize light (since light plus ammonia equals algae) but it's quite do-able and we'll help (others will help as I'm off to a swim meet this weekend, lol.)

~~waterdrop~~ :)
ps. sorry you got one of my long ones while drinking coffee!

3) Tank lighting: Two 10w tubes on a 10g will put you right at the high end (actually a bit too high in my opinion, but I'm not sure how I'd cut in down practically) of the brightness you want.

WD,

is it possible to use a transparent/tinted tank cover in to cut down the brightness? i guess all covers will have their own tint which may cut down something...i assume most are let almost all light through though.

cheers,
Adam

I just tested my tank's water and the ammonia is down to 0.5 ppm already?! :hyper: Could I be cycling this quickly?

My water has gotten pretty cloudy overnight. My tank has a small piece of Mayalsian Driftwood that was soaked overnight with the water having relatively no brown tinge in the end. My water isn't brown, it's just cloudy and I do have one small Amazon Sword planted last night right after my first ammonia dosage.

Also tank temp is steady at 83 deg F.

I just tested my tank's water and the ammonia is down to 0.5 ppm already?! :hyper: Could I be cycling this quickly?

My water has gotten pretty cloudy overnight. My tank has a small piece of Mayalsian Driftwood that was soaked overnight with the water having relatively no brown tinge in the end. My water isn't brown, it's just cloudy and I do have one small Amazon Sword planted last night right after my first ammonia dosage.

Also tank temp is steady at 83 deg F.

when did you start? it took me about 4/5days before i saw ammonia go down, and i think in comparison to other cycles, mine was quite fast.

ive soaked my wood too, but i actually want to keep some tannin, because i like the natural look of the water...until i do a water changes i suppose! lol

Im not sure why its gona cloudy, i assume you have the lights on for the sword, ammonia+light = algae (which is why i cycled without plants or light). is it cloudy white green or brown?. it could just be a bacteria bloom, i think this is common and harmless...they just get a bit too excited!

I started the tank up two days ago and added some LFS bacteria supplement (TopFin) but read on these boards ammonia was better so I carefully dosed out until 4ppm was achieved. Tested today - Ammonia 0.5ppm | NitrIte 0 ppm | NitrAte 5.0-6.0 ppm.

Initial tank reading before ammonia and after 'bacteria supplement' was 0 ppm across the aforementioned 3 tests.

Water is white cloudy through the light but if I hold a white piece of paper behind the tank I can see has a slight brown tint.

I started the tank up two days ago and added some LFS bacteria supplement (TopFin) but read on these boards ammonia was better so I carefully dosed out until 4ppm was achieved. Tested today - Ammonia 0.5ppm | NitrIte 0 ppm | NitrAte 5.0-6.0 ppm.

Initial tank reading before ammonia and after 'bacteria supplement' was 0 ppm across the aforementioned 3 tests.

Water is white cloudy through the light but if I hold a white piece of paper behind the tank I can see has a slight brown tint.

well i would expect to see nitrite if the 1st lot of bacteria were there, but then you do have nitrate which the 2nd batch of bacteria produce, cant imagine both types of bacteria are there in 2 days. was it a partially mature or seeded filter?

My water has cleared up and is roughly 90% clear! I added a but of ammonia before going to bed the other night, a very small amount, and today my ammonia is up to a solid 4 ppm (even darker in my test than after my initial dosage on day one).

I hear that amazon swords need iron to flourish and not die lol, will my plant suffer without it? If so how long before it does? Also with two 10watt fluorescent bulbs in a 10gal my wattage is 2 watts/gal correct? I ask because the package says the light output is equivalent to 50watts from an incandescent bulb and I'm not electrically knowledgeable.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back