Test Kits

Doohiky

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can I use my exisiting API Freshwater liquid test kits for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and PH/ High Range PH for saltwater?

Thanks

Same chemicals as saltwater but the card is different due i assume to salt effecting colours. You could use one in an emergency but i would purchase a proper one if i was you or get some salifert marine ones.

I'm not sure whether API makes different versions of the kits currently, but the API ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and high range pH kits I have now work on both freshwater and saltwater. However, before you trust the readings you should check to make sure that it says somewhere on the box that yours will work for saltwater with the scales given. Particularly for the ammonia and nitrate tests you would probably have two different color scales to use, one for fresh and one for salt.

Okay. Will go and check. If not I'll buy a specific saltwater test kit. Any brand you can recommend?

Thanks

Salifert although they only do single tests not kits. API Salt water is probably a close 2nd.

Most reactions

Back