Tesco Play Sand 10Kg

Verminator89

Jack Dempsey Enthusiast
Reaction score
Righto, so i work for Tesco and came across some bags of sand in work today. I've been looking into changing my cichlid tank from a quite gravely and sharp substrate to a silky sandy one, mainly for the benefit of my breeding Dempseys :) So i need/want to know if this sand is suitable to use in a tank. I know it can't contain lime (i think it is) for it to be safe in aquarium use, however i can't find information on the packet to tell me if it does or does not. Is there a test i can do to be sure? It's like £4 for two bags - bargain i thought, especially if its safe to use in my tank.

Does anyone know if it safe or not, its safe for kids, says so on the packet :p

Ive got some in my 30G. Its really light colour but looks good :good: Just make sure you rinse i well before putting it in the tank.

Righto, so i work for Tesco and came across some bags of sand in work today. I've been looking into changing my cichlid tank from a quite gravely and sharp substrate to a silky sandy one, mainly for the benefit of my breeding Dempseys :) So i need/want to know if this sand is suitable to use in a tank. I know it can't contain lime (i think it is) for it to be safe in aquarium use, however i can't find information on the packet to tell me if it does or does not. Is there a test i can do to be sure? It's like £4 for two bags - bargain i thought, especially if its safe to use in my tank.

Does anyone know if it safe or not, its safe for kids, says so on the packet :p
Most play sand is fine you just have to give it a wash to get rid of the dust. But for chiclids (if you want high pH) you way want to take a look at Coral Sand or Aragonite which work better in buffering for high pH conditions

I have always been under the belief Aragonite was marine? Or am i hugely misinformed?

You mention it working better in high pH conditions, whats there to work....it sand :S

Where i am the pH is naturally around 6.5/7.5 so i should be fine just getting a bag of Tesco play sand then, havn't concidered how this sand will affect the pH though, anyone know or have an idea if it'll go up or down.

Great! I shall be buying a bag, maybe two tommorow ready for my big rescape over the next fortnight :) Thanks for the advice and help guys/gals.

Most reactions

Back