Territorial Betta Checks Out New Pleco

michaelg210

Reaction score
Here are a few pics of the tank, Guiseppi "Joe" Pleco, and a short video that I can't beleive I caught on digital. I was gonna film Giovanni, the betta, and Guiseppi, separately, of course. I had already filmed the betta, and was filming the pleco, when the betta, being the ham that he is, tries to upstage and intimidate Guiseppi.... check it out... this is the first time I have ever seen them this close together and for this long.

Goivanna has been on recon, scenting him/her, dunno if GuiseppHE is a GuiseppSHE or not. Anyway, I know he is aware of Guiseppi, just never seemed to find him, then on an occasion or 2 swam right past him. In the video, he actually was "spying" on the pleco, maybe even tried to establish dominance, pick a fight, i don't know.... but, LOL the pleco just completely ignored him and kept munching... Giovanni had nothing to argue with.... and swam away....

OK, am I crazy or is it ME?

http://s1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/michaelg210/Giovanni%20and%20Guiseppi/

hes checking the plec out to see where the food is lol :D
that is a cute vid. thanks for sharing. i had a red vt that would follow the cories around the tank just checking them out. never any sort of aggression-just curiosity (and hed eat their pellets).
cheers

@ Loraxchick and fluffycabbage:

thanks, last night i came home and found them both hangin out under the little bridge... i would say sleeping but more like resting, betta tends to sleep close to the surface in his little area between 2 suction cups on the heater.

Anyway, i have a question. Pleco Joe has cleaned all the algae in the tank.... do i need to feed him wafers? I picked some up, they are small, like 3/8 in. across and circular-shaped.

how often do i feed them? How many? (wafers have no instructions). Also, heard to slice some zucchini and boil in dechlorinated H2O and toss in the tank.

any thoughts?

thanks

I dont think bettas eat wafers? I thought they are surface feeders and eat mostly floating foods, not sinking. Algae wafers are plant matter, and bettas are carnivores. The pleco's love wafers though. :) I think both fish would enjoy frozen bloodworms too, and your betta can eat betta pellets or betta flakes. The pleco will clean up any missed food on the bottom too. :p

For goldfish people boil romaine lettuce i've heard, so mabye plecos eat that too? I never had a pleco, post in the "catfish" section on the forums.

I dont think bettas eat wafers? I thought they are surface feeders and eat mostly floating foods, not sinking. Algae wafers are plant matter, and bettas are carnivores. The pleco's love wafers though. :) I think both fish would enjoy frozen bloodworms too, and your betta can eat betta pellets or betta flakes. The pleco will clean up any missed food on the bottom too. :p

For goldfish people boil romaine lettuce i've heard, so mabye plecos eat that too? I never had a pleco, post in the "catfish" section on the forums.

I think the OP meant should I feed the pleco algae wafers....Yes, definately.

My pleco likes courgette and honeydew melon (he didn't like watermelon, celery, or potato). But with a pleco try everything and see what he likes best :)

My pleco likes courgette and honeydew melon (he didn't like watermelon, celery, or potato). But with a pleco try everything and see what he likes best :)
thanks for getting it and for the tip. I thought I was clear, but perhaps my verbose nature clouded the question. (you probably also noticed i don't have any goldfish either). Read about and tried peas, that was a no go. What is courgette? I have heard zucchini. I usually wash my fruits in water with a slight amount of vinegar. I could thoroughly rinse in tap water after, do you think that is ok?

Back to the main subject, however. How often should i supplement with wafers? Do i feed a whole one every day or other day or even third day? Or do i only feed a half at a time.

He has cleaned out all the algea, but still sucks on the glass, so i don't know if he is searching for algae, or if he is actually eating algae that i just can't see. I called a few LFS yesterday and they all told me something different. Rather than make it up as they go i wish they would just say they are not sure. One told me the uneated wafer will kill the tank. Another told me the uneated wafer will dissolve and turn into algae........ sheesh! Doesn't everyone know that uneaten wafer becomes mold which then turns to penacillin to keep the fish from getting colds?

Anyway, let me know ur thoughts.

Thanks

thanks for getting it and for the tip. I thought I was clear, but perhaps my verbose nature clouded the question. (you probably also noticed i don't have any goldfish either). Read about and tried peas, that was a no go. What is courgette? I have heard zucchini. I usually wash my fruits in water with a slight amount of vinegar. I could thoroughly rinse in tap water after, do you think that is ok?

Back to the main subject, however. How often should i supplement with wafers? Do i feed a whole one every day or other day or even third day? Or do i only feed a half at a time.

He has cleaned out all the algea, but still sucks on the glass, so i don't know if he is searching for algae, or if he is actually eating algae that i just can't see. I called a few LFS yesterday and they all told me something different. Rather than make it up as they go i wish they would just say they are not sure. One told me the uneated wafer will kill the tank. Another told me the uneated wafer will dissolve and turn into algae........ sheesh! Doesn't everyone know that uneaten wafer becomes mold which then turns to penacillin to keep the fish from getting colds?

Thanks
Looks like you have a nice little bristle nose pleco!! My BN (Ginger) and CT beta (Zeus)love each other, Ging was a little shy at first, but she warmed up quick!

Thanks
Looks like you have a nice little bristle nose pleco!! My BN (Ginger) and CT beta (Zeus)love each other, Ging was a little shy at first, but she warmed up quick!
Yeah, thanks, funny, but my betta must think he is a pleco.... ever since he now hangs out at the bottom of the tank, lounging, waits til the last second then rushes up for a gulp of air, and right back down.... at first i thought there was something wrong with him, but he is eating fine and still swims around once in a while, just doesn't hang in his old resting place, near the top, between the heater suction cups. Dunno, we once had a horse that thought she was a cow when we were kids........

Most reactions

Back