Terrible Service, A Bit Of A Rant

Ugh, that's horrible. You'd think he'd know when it's ok to bend the rules a bit... like when you're the only freaking person in the store! You're a more patient person than I, I'd have been bagging it for myself after he refused the first time.

It is certainly not set down in statute, cos otherwise how did Argos get out of not providing a number of tellies a while ago for 27p where someone put the price on wrong on the internet site?

I'm not British but I do remember that story and the reason they did not have to sell them for that price is it was an obvious mistake and not intentional to mislead. There was no recourse for those who tried to buy them at that price because it was accidental. This isn't the same case where the shop employee was misleading CFC.

I am outraged by your story CFC. I hope you do write a letter, and I hope you return to the store to speak with a superior. There was deffinitley something shady about that, and he was deffinitley going to pocket the extra money he was trying to get you to pay.

If he did that to me i would say, "Where's your holiday spirit?" :p
I would have asked him what his name was, then i would of called him by his name with a Y added on the end. Example: Mike = Mikey
Example 2: Paul = Pauly
Example 3: Dave = Davey

Then i would describe to him how poor i am and that this is a christmas present for myself. I would of said that fish is the only thing that brings joy into my life and its the only thing i have left in the world, blah blah blah. Would of also mentioned something about good friends or relatives dying and wife leaving and stuff. Maybe that would of gotton the price down?

lol space monkey - if anyone bought that, I'd be happy to pay the full price - just to see it :p I'm not saying it's not plausible mind you...

Would of also mentioned something about good friends or relatives dying and wife leaving and stuff. Maybe that would of gotton the price down?
"Oh please dear sir, you don't understand... my son is terminally ill and we're afraid this will be his last Christmas with us. The only thing he wanted was... *sniff*... a flagtail prochilodus to add to his collection... *sniff* :-( "

"Oh please dear sir, you don't understand... my son is terminally ill and we're afraid this will be his last Christmas with us. The only thing he wanted was... *sniff*... a flagtail prochilodus to add to his collection... *sniff* cry1.gif "

Great example! :hyper:

I'm sorry if i offend anyone by what i said bout the sick people and stuff.... incase that somehow offends some sensitive people.

They do have to honour the marked price, the way someone like argos gets away with it is very very simple.
Once the mistake is noted, be it by having to sell one at the mistaken price, they will then simple have the item withdue forsale by claiming its out of stock untill the price mistake is rectifed or offer period finishes.

Or like the japanese stock broker that sold stock at wrong price due to typeo, cant remember figues off hand, but it was a very large amount of money.
But because it was so clearly a mistake the sale was voided. It was also beleved the poor trader would kill him self (the japanish harey carrie thing i cant spell) because its traditon in japan for bringing shame on himself.
Have to try digging out the paper.

Wrong. One of the first lessons you learn in accoutning is that the marked price is an offer of sale. You can then add on whatever you want or even refuse to sell at that price. Simple as that. Any time someone does is out of keeping goodwill.

From the below website on statutory purchasing rights:

The law does not control the amount a trader charges for goods, but you are entitled to expect the price of goods to be accurately displayed in a shop, catalogue, or advert. If goods are incorrectly priced you cannot force the trader to supply them to you, but you should report the matter to your local Trading Standards Department for investigation.

Guide to Stautory Rights

And if you do refer it to the Trading Standards and it is anything like what CFC described, they will do nothing.

Your regular legal nerd.

Andy

That sounds like someone "working" (erm used liberally, more like getting a pay check) for almost minimum wage and not being the least bit interested in helping anyone. It's really frustrating when service sucks. As for the price, I worked in retail several years ago and the law in the US then was that a posted price was nothing more that a starting point for negotiations (or something like that, can't remember exactly how it was stated). I don't know if that's the case in the UK or not but it still bites when they try to mark stuff up on you like that. I know I certainly won't go back to a place that does that.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Somewhat suprisingly after making this post i recieved an email from a manager of another branch of MA who kindly gave me a number to take the matter up with the area manager which i will do so after the christmas period.

Hi CFC :)

This is a very interesting development. I'd sure like to know what is being said behind the scenes in that company. :shifty: You might not have noticed, but that day we had a new member sign up using the name of Maidenhead. I was watching to see if they would post, but he/she must have emailed you instead.

I hope you follow through on this. I've always heard such good things about Maidenhead Aquatics that I'll be surprised if they don't make things right with you. :D

They should give you 5 of those fish that you wanted to make up for what they did to you.

Whether it's legal or not that they have to sell it to you at marked price, most generally will unless their profits will take a lot of a dive... like the telly incident. Whereas in CFC's instance, MA sells most fish at (even when not bumped up) ridiculous prices anyway, so not much profit lost, and since it's a big, nationwide store, I doubt it would want it's good name (ie, general conditions, etc., take a look in PFK and you'll see what I mean) tarnished by this... I say you'll get a nice grovelling apology, the fish at marked price, and something for your trouble :p

Thanks for the responses everyone. Somewhat suprisingly after making this post i recieved an email from a manager of another branch of MA who kindly gave me a number to take the matter up with the area manager which i will do so after the christmas period.

So, did you call him? :unsure: I really hope this story has a happy ending, both for you and for the fish! :D

I havent phoned yet, i only got back from my inlaws place in the country a couple of hours ago so i havent had time yet, i'll probably phone tomorrow morning.

Most reactions

Back