Terrapin Trouble

Impaction doesn't usually happen with sand, but it can. To be safe, I would either use large river rocks, that have no chance of fitting in his mouth, or use bare bottom as RESguy said.

interesting comments there about the gravel, when i change the tanks around i will seriously consider larger pebbles.

thanks for that

interesting comments there about the gravel, when i change the tanks around i will seriously consider larger pebbles.

thanks for that
If you really want to have some gravel then I would consider large river rocks ;)

It needs a UVB producing lamp. These are available for reptiles for around £20-30. Without this, they cannot digest calcium and they get shell problems. A UVB lamp will have UVA regardless, which is good for behaviour/feeding.
It looks like a River Cooter to me (AKA Hieroglphic turtle).
Paul

and if he has gravel in him he cant get out of the water
What exactly do you mean by this? Are you saying the gravel will weigh him down? :rolleyes: That is the least of your problems if your turtle ingest gravel, and it is pretty much untrue. Turtles carry around a much heavier shell and a few bits of gravel in their belly aren't going to stop them from getting out of the water to bask.

Where do you ge this information from? Turtles are extremely strong animals, and as RESGuy has said, it is not the weight of the gravel you should be worried about. I myself have had impacted turtles, and they all manage to move/swim/bask fine, so please refrain yourself from posting incorrect content, as all it will do is confuse new members, and make you look like an fool.
Paul

Where do you ge this information from? Turtles are extremely strong animals, and as RESGuy has said, it is not the weight of the gravel you should be worried about. I myself have had impacted turtles, and they all manage to move/swim/bask fine, so please refrain yourself from posting incorrect content, as all it will do is confuse new members, and make you look like an fool.
Paul
Turtle informers tag team :good:

Most reactions

Back