Terracotta?

caz_m

Reaction score
Seeing as aquarium ornaments are quite expensive, and I wanted somewhere for the fish to hide, could I just buy a small terracotta pot, and lay it on it's side?

Is terracotta ok in the water?

Thanks.

Seeing as aquarium ornaments are quite expensive, and I wanted somewhere for the fish to hide, could I just buy a small terracotta pot, and lay it on it's side?

Is terracotta ok in the water?

Thanks.

Yes, terracotta would be fine, just rince first.
HTH
rabbut

Yup :)
I have 2 in my community.
Wash it well first, and just add! I think they make great decor since they come in different sizes, and even look good when broken!!

I have a teracotta urn that I bought from the fish shop yesterday. I noticed that they had a plant growing on a teracotta pot for sale as well.

a;so i might add that if you intend on breaking the pot to give it that "old" effect i suggest you sand the edges by hand to make them smooth so as no fishy gets hurt by accident.....
community

terracotta pots were once the standard way of createing a cave for small cichlids to breed in, was a standard in many a community tank a pair of kribs living in a terracotta pot :D

Thanks very much. Am off out to buy one this afternoon, if it ever stops raining!

i may have some advice here! if you want to cut terracotta pots, you can use a ceramic blade or i have found if you put the pot in a bucket or a bsine, so the pot is covered and simply use an ordinary ,short, wood saw. you can cleanly and easily cut it and the water not only helps with the heat, it also works as a shock absorber, helping to avoid the pot splitting or breaking.

Most reactions

Back