Ten Gallon Tank

bigten

Reaction score
Due to my apartment size the only size tank i have room for is a ten gallon. However even though its just a ten gallon i would like to have a semi aggressive fish that i can feed live food to and frozen food too. I have been searching all day to find a semi agressive fish that can live well in a ten gallon and can find any ideas.. Can anyone help me?

In my ten gallon tank i planned to have one semi aggressive, one or 2 frogs, a cray fish and a few shrimp.

Would these be a good fit for eachother?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Due to my apartment size the only size tank i have room for is a ten gallon. However even though its just a ten gallon i would like to have a semi aggressive fish that i can feed live food to and frozen food too. I have been searching all day to find a semi agressive fish that can live well in a ten gallon and can find any ideas.. Can anyone help me?

In my ten gallon tank i planned to have one semi aggressive, one or 2 frogs, a cray fish and a few shrimp.

Would these be a good fit for eachother?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

for a 10 gallon tank - I would say you are pushing a little too far. Some community fish yes - anything else I think you will struggle

Apistogramma or rams are the way to go. I would get a single male with a school of 6-10 neon tetra. nd if you want either one of these, you will have to drop all invertabrates except snails, as they will view them as a snack. They arent really agressive, but it is a cichlid. And cichlids tend to be agressive. I would now advise you to head on over to the South American Cichlid forum. :good:

Dwarf puffer? Might be a problem with your shrimp/crayfish though.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but the combination of fish/animals you were thinking of really isn't too practical. Frogs generally aren't good to keep with fish, especially if the fish are semi-aggressive. Also, cray fish aren't the best choice for a small community-style tank.

As far as feeding, virtually any omnivorous or carnivorous fish - even if they are generally peaceful - will eat frozen or live food (if the live food is something like brine shrimp). If you were thinking like feeder goldfish then yeah you don't have many options with a 10 gallon.

Here is my recommendation for you:
A (maybe even a pair of a) small Apistogramma species, and maybe 3 Amano shrimp if you are very interested in shrimp.

If I had a ten gallon, I would make it a shell dweller cichlid tank. :p

Check out those options, and if you have any more questions I hope i could help.

id go for a dp or two

I don't want to burst your bubble, but the combination of fish/animals you were thinking of really isn't too practical. Frogs generally aren't good to keep with fish, especially if the fish are semi-aggressive. Also, cray fish aren't the best choice for a small community-style tank.

As far as feeding, virtually any omnivorous or carnivorous fish - even if they are generally peaceful - will eat frozen or live food (if the live food is something like brine shrimp). If you were thinking like feeder goldfish then yeah you don't have many options with a 10 gallon.

Here is my recommendation for you:
A (maybe even a pair of a) small Apistogramma species, and maybe 3 Amano shrimp if you are very interested in shrimp.

If I had a ten gallon, I would make it a shell dweller cichlid tank. :p

Check out those options, and if you have any more questions I hope i could help.

The apistogramma would view the shrimp as a meal, wouldn't they? That is what I was told when looking for a bottom dweller.

The apistogramma would view the shrimp as a meal, wouldn't they? That is what I was told when looking for a bottom dweller.

I have successfully kept Apistogramma cacatuoides with amano shrimp (Pair of apisto, 5 shrimp). But they were in a 55 gallon planted community so I guess they each had enough of their own space. Yeah I guess scratch the idea of keeping the apistos with shrimp, unless other people have had success in a smaller tank?

I have successfully kept Apistogramma cacatuoides with amano shrimp (Pair of apisto, 5 shrimp). But they were in a 55 gallon planted community so I guess they each had enough of their own space. Yeah I guess scratch the idea of keeping the apistos with shrimp, unless other people have had success in a smaller tank?

The 55 gallon is the key. They had places to hide.

I have a pair of Apistogramma borelli with four amano shrimp and six microrasbora in a 60 litre tank. I have lots of plants (both real and silk) and plenty of caves. The apistos may well eat the amano zoes (the two females are constantly carrying eggs) but the adults don't seem to have any problems and they've been together for six months.

I think i would have to agree with the apistos as well - Im setting up a ten with a pair of Cacatuoides and a small school of platinum tetras. Though agreed that these wont mix with the frog, crayfish or shrimp lol. Though they might do okay with African Dwarf Frogs - which are the ones you need in a 10 the albino clawed just get too big for the tank its a 6 inch animal fully grown. Also the crayfish needs to usually be just in a species tank as they will shred your fishes tails and fins and also eat your shrimp.

An other option would be maybe a badis or two with a few african dwarf frogs and the shrimp. The badis are not agressive but will eat live or frozen food no problems they are bright red usually but you can get many different colour morphs think there are gold blue and violet now some are bred others are natural strains. They will do well with the frogs and shrimp.

An other fish you might be interested but you would need a slightly bigger tank 20g or so could be south american leaf fish - though these are not suitable for a 10g at all, think they would tick all your boxes - a true odd ball, looks fantastically different to most other fish and you will be able to feed the way you want.

Most reactions

Back