Ten Gallon Hood With Two Lights!

flyhockey1037

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a hood for a ten gallon tank (10"x20") that has two flourescent light tubes? My single bulb lighting unit died in a puff of smoke recently, so I figure I might as well upgrade to two lights for my heavily planted tank, but nobody seems to make one in sizes less than 24". I see that Eclipse has a hood with two bulbs but it also has the filter built in to the hood, which I do not want or need. The hood doesn't necessarily need to come with bulbs either.

-Brandon

or also maybe a kit to convert an existing 15W single bulb setup to two bulbs?

Actinic lamps are designed to replicate the conditions found in deeper water under full sun/open sky as found on coral reefs. They have no place in a freshwater tank where their very high end spectrum does nothing but warp the colours of the inhabitants and encourage algae.

My local fish shop is willing to order me a Current USA Satellite 1x40W 20" unit (all of which come with a sunpaq combo 10000k/actinic) along with a 10000k/6700k dual daylight bulb to replace it with for $89.95. It seems this is the only way for me to achieve my desired WPG without retrofitting new lights in my old canopy (which I'm afraid would create too much heat, and cost too much money). Anyone want to buy a SunPaq bulb?

My local fish shop is willing to order me a Current USA Satellite 1x40W 20" unit (all of which come with a sunpaq combo 10000k/actinic) along with a 10000k/6700k dual daylight bulb to replace it with for $89.95. It seems this is the only way for me to achieve my desired WPG without retrofitting new lights in my old canopy (which I'm afraid would create too much heat, and cost too much money). Anyone want to buy a SunPaq bulb?
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/produc...id1=1843;pcid2=

Less than $60 with shipping to the US.

Does anyone know where I can get a hood for a ten gallon tank (10"x20") that has two flourescent light tubes? My single bulb lighting unit died in a puff of smoke recently, so I figure I might as well upgrade to two lights for my heavily planted tank, but nobody seems to make one in sizes less than 24". I see that Eclipse has a hood with two bulbs but it also has the filter built in to the hood, which I do not want or need. The hood doesn't necessarily need to come with bulbs either.

-Brandon
What about a glass top, and then add the lights you want? I live in Canada so prices are different due to the currency but; at the stores in town here you could do that for about 75$ canadian and get two 18w bulbs out of the deal....

I have a heavily planted 10gal, same size as yours. I have one flourescent coralife bulb.
My plants are growing really fast and have to trim them and throw the clippings out once a week.
I was looking for a 10gal double light fixture but since the tank is pretty shallow the intensity of one lamp is
good enough. If you get another light the light will just shine out of your tank and will not help that much.
So I would just stick with a single bulb light fixture with a coralife bulb, that worked for me.

these bulbs are 6700k in one bulb and 10000k in the other but they are skinny and so both combined is no wider than a a standard coralife bulb.

17" 40w Dual Daylight
picture of bulb

Most reactions

Back