Temperature!!!!

Well, according to my best knowledge, Platies and Goldfish don't really belong into the same tank. Goldfish is a coldwater fish, while Platies are tropical, and hence need a warmer temperature.

Woops, I just realized I didn't tell you yet, I plan on getting rid of my already pretty big one and replacing him with tetras. The whole reason I am treating him of pop eye is because I want him to go. Well, I would've treated him before but...it's a loooong story. The whole thing is hard to explain.

I wouldnt keep goldies with platies but if you want, you can

Raise the temp to 72
It should be fine for the platies and are actually really good for the goldies

Just make sure you dont leave the goldfish/platy combo for too long
Goldfish wont necessarily eat the platies but will take a big bite off the tail!

What kinda goldfish do you have and how big?

I noticed you got new fish juggernaut. Anyway, my comet is the size of the platties and I have another one that has a bubbly head. Not a lionhead since they don't have dorsal fins. I think it is an oranda. Not sure though. Anyway, the "not sure" is very big and as soon as I cure it's pop eye, it's going.

Goldfish can't be kept with tropical fish. One (or both) will die. Goldfish can't live in tropical temperature water, the higher the temperature the lower the oxygen levels so the goldfish will be suffocating. If the platies are in low temperature water their metabolism will slow down too much and they will die. Also goldfish poop alot and release way too much waste into the water for platies to live in. So no matter what its a bad situation.

Yea, I got some new fish.
They are doing great!

How is your fish?

Oranda's are really hard to take care of compared to other fish but they can grwo to be very valuable..

I suggest you move them soon!!! (I would move the platies)

The goldfish are going. I am moving the golfish out after I have cured the pop eye. I find it much easier to keep the water temperature warm than cold. Besides, the guy at the pet store said the water needs to be 85 degrees for the pop eye meds to work.

Platys and goldfish can both live in the same water. Any water tempurture between 70 and 80 degrees is good. My two golfish and my platy do well in the samw water temp.

Good Luck !

technically, goldfish can be kept in anywhere from 65-75degrees F, though they prefer under 70,and platies can be kept in the 71-81 range, but aroudn 76-78 is best. since youre only keeping them together a short time, if theres no way to put the goldfish in something else while you treat it, then go with lower 70s. hope your fish take it well.

It is not a prob is it is only temporary but long time sharing of tanks can cause early death to both (you may not notice it but they will die early!)

Goldfish only need warm water when treating ich (kills the ich)
Other than that, the goldfish are to be in coldwater

Most reactions

Back