Temperature Problem

45 gallon tank

Reaction score
My temperature in my tank is going down and i have tropical fish. My heater I think is the problem, somehow it's not working that well. When i came home from a 3 day va the temperature was 79 degrees. Tomorrow morning it dropped to 68 degrees then increased to 74 degrees then on the second day temperature lowered to 64 degrees. Right now my tape thermometer says it's 65 degrees but im not sure...somehow it's colder at night and in the morning but warmer at the afternoon. Does the time of day have something to do with it? Btw i got 6 black skirts and 3 kuhlis. The black skirts still have their bright black color but the kuhlis seem to dart all around the tank at night.

Many seem to think the tape thermometers aren't too accurate. Personally, I trust mine, as I have a more conventional one and a tape - both always read the same.

Yes, the ambient temperature will definitely affect your tank's temperature.

How many watts is your heater?
Your tank is 45 gallons? I think about 250 Watts is what you want.. but I'm not completely sure. Double check on this.

Is your tank near a heater?

Does the room temperature vary a lot? This is probably what's going on. If not, then your thermometer or heater is broken.

Kuhli's are more active at night.

The heater is exactly 257 watts. I just got a look at the room temperature and i'm like :shout: the room temperature right now is 45 degrees...no wonder im so extremely cold and it's winter so i'm not so surpised...btw i know the kuhlis are active at night it's just that there more active than normal. Usually there on the tank floors but this is the first time that i've seen them going around on top and the middle

The heater is exactly 257 watts. I just got a look at the room temperature and i'm like :shout: the room temperature right now is 45 degrees...no wonder im so extremely cold and it's winter so i'm not so surpised...btw i know the kuhlis are active at night it's just that there more active than normal. Usually there on the tank floors but this is the first time that i've seen them going around on top and the middle
Tank heaters are only designed to raise temperature by a certain amount. My guess is that 45 degress F is outside of their operative range. Forty-five degrees?!?! SOO COLD!! BRRRR

I would say either raise your room's temperature or purchase another heater. The latter may be dangerous if one breaks and stays on, as you more than double your chances of this happening if you have two (electrical surge, say). But it is very unlikely. Don't quote me on that last bit.

I do have a house heater and one of the vents is exactly next to the fish tank but...im worried that it might catch on fire... i have a stand and it's made of wood.

It the heater near the stand is electric it could catch the stand on fire which would heat the fish a little to much. If it is a forced air type it would be near to impossible to do anything other than give the fish a warm stand. It does sound like your heater is malfunctioning or at least is being overcome by the cold room temperature.

It the heater near the stand is electric it could catch the stand on fire which would heat the fish a little to much. If it is a forced air type it would be near to impossible to do anything other than give the fish a warm stand. It does sound like your heater is malfunctioning or at least is being overcome by the cold room temperature.

I had my friend's father and he makes heaters like the one in my tank, to have a look at the heater. He says it's just fine and working at 99% with no problems. So i'm going to suspect that it's the cold temperatures fualt that's causing this. Oh and yes my house heater is an air one that's built into the house i've already turned it on to room temperature to warm things up. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

oops accidently canceled the quote hope that will not be a problem when reading...sorry anyway.

Sounds like you may have solved this one! Just a quick suggestion - you might want to try using another thermometer to ensure the accuracy of the tape thermometer you currently use. Good luck to you!

Sounds like you may have solved this one! Just a quick suggestion - you might want to try using another thermometer to ensure the accuracy of the tape thermometer you currently use. Good luck to you!
Yes i did try another one and it read the same exact thing. The other one i used is the mercury one.

Today i just found the REAL problem with the temperature in my tank....it wasn't the out side temperature but it was the heater. I checked the makers of the heater and they said that it should be at least 79 degrees inside the tank no matter the temperature outside...I checked behind the tank and found the PLUG had been dismantled. I quickly put the plug back in. The plug was almost unoticable because it was placed in a place where you couldn't find it very easily....obviously some one did it and if i find that some one...bloodshed....murder....assasination..........jk :shifty:

Most reactions

Back