Temperature Matching Using A Hose And A Kettle

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I may be showing my ignorance here, but there seems to be no mention of the impact of chlorine /chloramine when adding tap water straight to the tank. As I understand dechlorinator takes a little time to work, so there has to be a detrimental effect on the tank. Another consideration is the dose to add, as it is obviously being diluted by the volume of tank water.

elmo666 said:
I may be showing my ignorance here, but there seems to be no mention of the impact of chlorine /chloramine when adding tap water straight to the tank. As I understand dechlorinator takes a little time to work, so there has to be a detrimental effect on the tank. Another consideration is the dose to add, as it is obviously being diluted by the volume of tank water.

Dechlorinator works pretty much instantly.

Usually when adding dechlore using python system, you add enough for the whole tank volume, not just for the amount that you refill tank water. 

If using bucket refilling method then you just add enough dechlore to the bucket of water volume.

Exactly what as Ch4 said.

Vin Swords said:
There.. The official clown has arrived.. LoL ( auto carrot mate.. Ain't got a hand in that mess.)

Sorry Vin... I couldn't help myself. :lol:

Ch4rlie said:
Usually when adding dechlore using python system, you add enough for the whole tank volume, not just for the amount that you refill tank water. 

If using bucket refilling method then you just add enough dechlore to the bucket of water volume.
This depends which water conditioner you're using though. Prime uses this method but other conditioners do not and have different instructions. For Prime it is safe to add enough for the whole tank and then put water in straight from the tap. Other dechlorinators might not let you do this.

I've never had an issue doing it with any dechlorinator.

I also don't worry about using dechlorinator for changes of 10% or less.

There was an incident on the forum a while ago where I think somebody lost fish after overdosing a different brand of dechlorinator when they tried to dechlorinate the whole tank as you can do with Prime.  It's best just to follow the instructions on whatever bottle you have.

daizeUK said:
There was an incident on the forum a while ago where I think somebody lost fish after overdosing a different brand of dechlorinator when they tried to dechlorinate the whole tank as you can do with Prime.  It's best just to follow the instructions on whatever bottle you have.

I must have missed that particular thread.  Do you happen to know the brand?

Right now I have sodium thiosulfate crystals and just use them. 

daizeUK said:
On the other hand I've got Fluttermoth telling me she sent her fish into shock - so I guess it is more complicated than it seems.
I would just like to stress that that was only because I added the new, cold, water too quickly; a 50% water change on a 200l tank, with the new water added over half an hour or so. When I've done it more slowly (over two or three hours), I've never had an issue, and even in the first instance, I did not lose a single fish.

Thanks Fluttermoth, do you know what temperature it reached when the fish showed ill effects?

daizeUK said:
Ah it took me a while to dig out the thread but found it: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/427404-can-i-use-less-water-conditioner-for-my-water-changes/

It was Star4 who had problems with overdosing although she doesn't mention which brand she used.

Oh I tracked down her original thread http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/425784-adding-dechlorinator/ which I hadn't seen before.  She was using Pond Medic

Thanks Daize.  I've never seen Pond Medic around here.  I wonder how different it is, being that its already for 'ponds' it might be super potent already, and perhaps not really suitable for a smaller aquarium.

daizeUK said:
Thanks Fluttermoth, do you know what temperature it reached when the fish showed ill effects?
No, I'm afraid I don't.

Regarding termperature and fish I did A bunch of reading of the research a while back tangential to a discussion regarding acclimating new fish. As daize noted, various fish have different tolerances. But the interesting part of my reading revealed that if one moves a fish into the danger range in terms of temperature and they begin to show the signs of being too hit or too cold, if one moves them back into their "safe" range faily fast they recovery almost instantly. Of course this doesn' not do much to support the arguments in favor of temperature acclimation.

If fish have been in a bag for a day or two and the temp has dropped, due to the other issues of ammonia etc. I prefer not to risk any potential shock from temperature change being amplified by other issues, so I still prefer to do some temperature matching before putting new fish into a Q tank especially if the difference is much more than about 5-6oF.

As for dry and rainy seasons, yes they do bring in big temperature drops. But not all parts of the world of fw fish have such seasonality. Fish which live in a fairly stable environment year round will not be well adapted to such big seasonal swings.

Finally, lets not forget that the chlorine/chloramine neutralizers are reducing agents which means they remove O from the water. When combined with other additives in the water that may also be reducing agents it is easy yo cause a drastic drop in the oxygen levels of a tank. Especially if any of these are being overdosed. I can warn you never to overdose Prime and Excel together for example.

If I may offer a more convoluted suggestion...

What if you got a 3 way connector and cut the hose to fit a second branch coming in from a pre filled container carrying the hot water and the water treatment stuff. It'll all mix inside the hose and come out into the tank de-chlorinated and a nice temperature?!

Most reactions

Back