Temperature Drop

AquaQueen

Reaction score
We just had a major temp drop here in CA. I have never used a heater in my 30gal because the tank always stayed the same temp as my house which was 78 degrees. Now that it has dropped down to 68 of course the tank is going down with it. Do you think my fish will be ok at 68 or do I need to get them a heater today? I have 2 swordtails and 8 assorted Platys.

Thanks
Tracie

Livebearers tend to be quite hardy so if the drop in temperature is only temporary then they will be fine with it, if its going to be for a while then you will need a heater. Remember to feed less if the temperature is cooler, cooler water slows down the fishes metabolisms and they will need less food.

Ahhh ok. Guess I'm going to the lfs soon. This is our temp drop for the rest of the winter so its not a temporary event. Thanks much!

Tracie

Hi AquaQueen. :)

Having a heater in your tank is a good idea. :thumbs: Even if it doesn't get really cold, a heater will keep the temperature of the water steady which is better for the fish. With a heater, you will be protecting them from a possible warming up followed by a sudden drop which can happen when your tank is dependant on local climate. This could lead to major problems.

When it comes to heaters, IMHO, it's a case of better to be safe than sorry!

Most reactions

Back