Tell Me What To Do With This Tap Water

Byron said:

Thank you, again! Yes, the 6,4 value is tap water that has sat for a day. I haven't tested any water in the tank itself yet as I am removing my gravel. Once the sand goes in I will run tests over time on the tank as well, better safe than sorry.

And again you are very welcome.  Tap water pH is good.  These nano species should do well.  As i hope I explained, the pH may lower naturally, that is not problematic with these species.  Testing will let you see how much and how fast this occurs, but regular (once a week) water changes of half the tank should keep things balanced.

Just toillustrate,here is a photo of my 29g which is about the closest I have come to a biotope for blackwater.  With lots of wood and branches, one can do with fewer plants in the substrate.  The dried leaves are also authentic.

Byron.

That's fantastic. I feel very optimistic about my water and how to work with it now. :)

Out of interest, are the fish in your blackwater biotope Gasteropelecus levis, P. axelrodi, and Hyphessobrycon amandae? I daren't venture a guess at the larger black and silver ones but I'm trying to learn. :)

I will start out with sand, roots/branches, and floating plants, and take it from there. I am a little unsure as to how easy it will be for me to source appropriate leaves yet.
Akasha72 said:
if you like the blackwater effect you can stain the water using redbush tea - just make sure it's pure redbush with nothing added like flavourings etc. I use Tetley redbush to stain my tank water. The tea has lots of beneficial stuff coming from it - such as a natural anti-biotic, anti-sceptic and a natural stress reliever for the fish too. 

After looking over my old photo's at my 110 litre tank I'm actually desperate to set it back up as pure blackwater - no rocks this time, just wood and a few plants and loads of leaf litter and stain the water really dark. I love blackwater aquariums but not everyone does

I never knew you could use tea to stain the water... you learn something new every day. :) Once I am up and running I might check to see if I can find that tea here.

Out of interest, are the fish in your blackwater biotope Gasteropelecus levis, P. axelrodi, and Hyphessobrycon amandae? I daren't venture a guess at the larger black and silver ones but I'm trying to learn. 
smile.png

There are at present 63 fish in that 29g.  Parachierodon simulans (the green or false neon) is the centrepiece with 16 but there are also four P. axelrodi that are so closely related genetically they interact as part of the entire shoal of 20.  I built the tank around the P. simulans, as they are wild caught, an extremely delicate/sensitive species, and occurring in blackwater habitats.  I don't deliberately create stained water, but with all the wood and the dried leaves added weekly the tannins and bacteria are present without the staining.  The GH and KH are zero, the pH somewhere around 5.  This is crucial for P. simulans.

There are 8 Hyphessobrycon amandae you spotted, 8 Nannostomus eques (the rocket or diptailpencilfish), 4 N. unifasciatus (very close to the N. eques, with some authors suggesting these two species might be found to form their own genus phylogenetically), my 4 remaining Loreto Tetra (Hyphessobrycon loretoensis) that I acquired 6-7 years ago, 2 Characidium fasciatum (I think they may be male/female, I've had them for several years), five Farlowella vitatta fry I raised from a spawning of the parents in another tank, and then the 12 hatchetfish which are species in Carnegiella.  These are the smaller of the hatchets, compared to the species in Gasteropelecus and Thorachocharax (I have groups of these in another tank); I have C. marthae, the two forms of C. strigata ("Marble"), and possibly C. schereri which is very close to C. marthae.

The C. marthae/schereri is perhaps a species complex, as quite recent work has identified three probably distinct lineages within C. marthae just from specimens collected in the Rio Negro basin, that will mean three distinct species if this proves correct.  This species is quite widespread, in blackwater and some clear streams throughout the Brazilian and Peruvian Amazon basins, and whenever a species has such a large distribution area, there is every liklihood it can evolve into geographical variants if the populations become isolated (as seems to have occurred with the Marble Hatchet, C. strigata, which has two very distinct pattern forms that to my recollection have never been found living together) and these may then continue to evolve into distinct species.

All of these species do occur naturally in blackwater habitats, so they share identical water parameters, environment (sand, wood, floating plants, leaves), dimmer light, and they are all sedate.  An active swimming species in this tank would be havoc and highly stressful to these fish.

I will start out with sand, roots/branches, and floating plants, and take it from there. I am a little unsure as to how easy it will be for me to source appropriate leaves yet.

Some fish stores sell dry almond leaves, but if you live near a forest or woods, or have trees in your garden that are not subjected to any pesticides or chemicals, it is easy to collect fallen leaves in the autumn and bag them up for use all year.  Oak is especially good, along with beech, maple...pretty much any hardwood.  Avoid evergreen leaves and they are thicker and contain more sap that can cause issues.  Collect the leaves after they fall naturally off the tree, as they will be completely dead.  Lay them out to dry (some people wash them, I don't, provided there are no bird droppings) for a day or so, then bag them in some old fish bags.  They will float when first put in the tank, usually taking 2-3 or 4 days to waterlog and sink easily, and then they can be laid on the sand.  Some fish love to "inspect" under them for food.

The chain sword, Helanthiium bolivianum, planted in the sand was not initially intended; I had some pulled out of another tank and just stuck a few plants in to get the tank bacteria going, and it started sending out runners and I left it, though I do cut some plantlets and discard them now and then to keep it in check.  I intended no lower plants because I wanted good floating, and the light is not bright to begin with, plus the Farlowella do tend to chew slowly through the leaves.  Yet the plants are still spreading, so all is well.  When that picture was taken in early December, this tank had been set up like this with these fish for four months.  The tank was running prior to that, with the sand and some plants but much less wood.

Byron.

I just want to clarify the use of tea to stain aquarium water so there's no misunderstandings. I happened to mention this on another forum and someone misundertood and added the wrong tea and killed several rare angelfish. Naturally I felt absolutely dreadful.

The Only Tea You Can Use Is Pure RedBush - that's Roobois from the natural plant that grows in South Africa. DO NOT use any other tea. Do NOT use RedBush that's flavoured and be careful buying from the internet.
Do Not add too much either. I add 4 or 5 tea bags to a 1 litre jug with boiling water. I allow it to seep of about 5 minutes before straining the tea bags and disgarding. I then add a small amount of the tea stained liquid to each bucket - I change 10 buckets which is about 60 litres. This stains the water a gentle yellow 

Most reactions

Back