Tea Coloured Water

haich

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi all have a 2x1x1 tank with a nice bit of mopani wood in it the problem is it keeps turning water a tea colour i do weekly changes but is still there i know it doesnt harm the fish but i prefer it a nice crystal clear im only housing a goldfish and a plec at the minute goldfish going this week for some more tropicals (sorry for going off subject there) what i wanted to know is what could i use to seal the wood any reply most welcome cheers

How long did you soak the wood before you put it in the tank?

Also you'll want to get a water testing kit so some of the others can help you a bit more :)

Hi, if you have carbon in your filter that will remove the colour. I have a Juwel filter and I have a carbon sponge in there all the time. I have a large piece of wood in my tank. I am not sure if you can seal the wood, I have never read on here of anyone doing that. :) I only soaked my wood for 2-3 days in cold water before it went in the tank.

Those are the tannins from the wood, wood can make the water acidic. Carbon doesn't really work, but water changes do.

cheers for that i soaked it for 2 days should it have been longer cause i have another tank im doing now so i might buy my mopani and just give it a good soak till its ready to go in just waiting on water test kit to get here hopefully this week some time changed water yesterday will do a ph reading later but last week it read about 8 bit high but ok yes?

Carbon is recognised as removing tannin from the water. I do regular water changes as well of course. The carbon in my filter removed the colour in a few days. The colour isn't actually harmful and some people like it because it looks natural. :) Not sure about the ph, mine is between 6.5 - 7. Some fish like a high ph.

I'd say soak it, for a day, then change the water and keep doing this until the water it is being soaked in no longer turns a funny colour.

Varnishing or sealing wood is a bad idea. Some fish like to eat wood or the algae growing on it, and they will scrape off the varnish and posion themselves. A plec is definitely the sort of fish that will do this.

The old trick for removing the tannin from wood is put it in the cistern of your loo. Each time you flush, it'll get a nice rinse, and between flushes will have the chance to leach out any chemicals. This is a great approach for cleaning sea shells and other stuff collected from the wild, too. Anyway, do this until the water flushes clear. When that happens, you're done! Obviously don't put anything like bleach cubes in the cistern!!! Probably safer not do this in a cistern that's been chemically treated in any way for at least three months (he says, picking arbitrary number out of the air).

To be honest, I wouldn't bother. Fish love the darker water, and your eyes get used to is very quickly. The colours on your fish will look richer. Goldfish aren't wild about low pH levels, so make sure it doesn't go below 6.5. For the plec, as well as most non-livebearer tropicals, pH 6 to 6.5 is just about perfect.

Carbon will remove tannins, up to a point. Depends on how much carbon you use relative to the amount of bogwood. I don't like to use carbon without having special reason: many aquarists seem not to realise it also removes fish medicines.

Cheers,

Neale

I had to soak my mopani for about 2 weeks changing the water every other day but it worked fine crystal clear water with no tannins looks great

what a bloody good idea that cheers for all that will do that with my next piece if it will fit hey you do learn something new everyday

Most reactions

Back