TDS Meter

MarchHare

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting a TDS meter to help keep track of my water parameters.
The on line store has them for sixteen to twenty two dollars, and then on up.
Would it be worth while getting one of the inexpensive meters, but does one have to go for the big bucks in order to be comfortable with its readings?
Your experience would be most helpful.
Thank you.
March...

many of the cheaper meters are made in china and may have poorly written instructions, and in some cases the instructions may be wrong.

I recently purchased a cheep ph meter. The instructions were difficult to understand, and the calibration instructions I know know were wrong. Furthermore the meter was strongly affected by electrical noise and it would never give me a stable reading. Furthermore there were no instructions regarding maintenance (cleaning and storage). I found it to be basically unusable.

After some time and a bit more though I purchased a Hanna instruments PH meter. Instructions easy to understand, correct calibration instructions, and instructions on storage, and maintenance were provided. I ended up spending about $60 for it while the cheap one cost me about $20. The Hanna meter gives me reliable readings and stable readings in about 5 minutes with no sensitivity to electrical noise.

After that experience I did purchase a Hanna TDS meter. It has proven to be accurate. I used it for 6 months and then re calibrated it. After the calibration the change in the tank reading was an insignificant 10 ppm.

What I have purchased are:
TDS http://hannainst.com/products/testers/primo-tds-tester.html
PHhttp://hannainst.com/categories/ph-checkers-for-education/hi98100-checker-plus-ph-tester.html

In both cases the meters cost about $40 dollars. Calibration solutions, storage solutions, and cleaning solutions were extra. I have only had them for about 6 months but I am confident that they will last for at least several years. Although I purchased the smallest bottles I could find of calibration and storage solution I probably have enough to last a several years.

Thanks very much for your definitive information, Stephen.
I like the fact that the Hanna can be calibrated.
I don't mind paying a little extra for a good tool, but I do continue to look for cost effective solutions.
For PH I have a Milwaukee that has worked well for the past year and a half. Originally purchased because my other hobby is wine making.
A little fussy with calibrating and waiting for it to settle down when taking readings.
Cheers!

Most reactions

Back