tap water conditioner

Argenteus

Reaction score
Is it alright to mix hot and cold water from the tap and then add a water conditioner like aquaplus during water changes? I heard there might be some nasty chemicals in hot water.

That's what we do. Where would these chemicals in the hot water come from?! Our hot water is simply the cold water heated up so from the same source...

daisycat said:
That's what we do. Where would these chemicals in the hot water come from?! Our hot water is simply the cold water heated up so from the same source...
Our too. I have heard people saying things like that too but I don't see why it would apply as it's the same source for hot and cold. One is heated, the other not. Simple as.

I put the dechlorinator in the bucket and then add the water because I think it helps mix it up better.

:)

depends what kind of central heating/hot water system you have. If you have a boiler then its not wise to use hot wayer from the tap..

gixer said:
depends what kind of central heating/hot water system you have. If you have a boiler then its not wise to use hot wayer from the tap..
What is the difference between a household boiler and a kettle in terms of the water for use in a fish tank?

I've never had problems.

boiler was maybe a wrong choice of words.

a hot water tank is full of waste metals, copper , solder and all sorts of crap that has built up over the years.. not good... i certainly wouldn't use it.

its not advised you drink from the hot tap so i wouldnt give it to my fish either.

Maybe combi boiler systems are ok. but i certainly would not use it from an old water tank thats for sure

What is the difference between a household boiler and a kettle in terms of the water for use in a fish tank?

cut open an old water tank and you tell me if you would make a cup of tea from it.

if you answer yes, remind me never to have a cup of tea at your house :lol: :dunno:

Not sure about this. in my house both hot an cold water supplies run through copper pipes to get to the tap, so how can it make a difference if it has been through a copper hot water tank?

I asked a chemist ( a friend of mine) to to do a water test on tap only water. it came out on the hard side but other than the usual crap the water companies put in the water it was very good. Lead solder and copper in the supply, if i understand this right are not very good for us either.

As I understand it, the main reason people recommend not using hot tap water is because they claim that hot water can bring more lead and copper from your house pipes.

Aquaplus says it neutralizes heavy metals. Copper and lead and such are heavy metals aren't they? So I'm thinking the conditioner should take care of them.

well i know i still would NOT use water from the hot tap.
like i said above somewhere if you get the chance to ever see in an old water tank you will see why.

Is it worth the risk? its hardly hard to boil the kettle a couple of times.

but by useing a kettle u are adding limescale into ur tank.....

iv always done the hot/cold water tap mix... iv never seen any problems, and i dont know of anyone who does it any differently...

as for boiling a kettle to do a water change, its hardly a few times is it if u have a large tank and u are intending to do a large water change..

They say dont drink water from your bathroom, not just the hot tap this is because the water from there comes from your tank in the attic and is open topped and anything can get in there, bug's and dust etc. etc.
I have always used the water from the bathroom and have never had any problems.

Most reactions

Back