tannins?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nmarc3627

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Wood that releases tannins (not sure if thats what it is called) does that harm the fish?

No. My fish also live in tannin-discoloured water, and have never been affected by it. However, it does make the water look 'dirty', so if you're worried, do a water change. Gradually, the tannin coloured will lessen. Just allow more time for it to happen. :)

Nope. Tannis are natural and are safe for fish. The worst thing that tannins will do is cause your water to be brownish in color. How brown depends on the wood, the water, your filter and your water change schedule. It may look funny (or good, depending on personal preference) but it will not harm your fish. In fact, many fish come from areas that may have significant "tannin effect" water in their natural habitat and will probably enjoy it.

\Dan

The only real effect that tannins will have on your water is to somewhat alter your pH, unless you soak and boil the wood first. I soaked mine for 2 days in some aquarium water before adding it, and my pH still went down quite a bit (8.0 to 7.2). However, for me this was a positive thing as I needed acidic water for the fish I wanted to keep.

Quick note.......I'm not being patronising but you said pH7.3 was acidic.......it not!
pH greater than 7 is alkaline. pH less than 7 is acidic. Which make pH7 neutral.

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong, but he said it was good that the pH went down because he needed acidic water for the fish he has..... he never said that 7.2 is acidic. I was delighted when my pH dropped from the 7.8 it is as tapwater down to 7.2.... and then CO2 injection pushed it down a bit more so it fluctuates between 6.8 and 7.0 during the day as CO2 gets used up. I "need" acidic water too, and the 7.8 just wasn't cutting it, much like his 8.0 isn't.

Most reactions

Back