Tannins Leaching--Purigen Vs Carbon?

fish4962

Reaction score
I have a 70 gal with 2 double-hanging filters/no carbon. My driftwood leaches tannins and looks like tea water. I've been reading up on purigen;sounds expensive $$, grains slip out of the bags, and the bleaching sounds dangerous. Should I use purigen, carbon, or stick with the tea-water? Anything else to use that's inexpensive? (I put in alot of food for the many different fish = flakes for the top fish, algae wafers, bloodworms and shrimp pellets for the bottom dwellers..)

fish4962

Water changes. :good:

Stick with the tannins matey, they're beneficial for a lot of fish anyway.

If you do go with purigen, buy it loose and make your own bags from some tights, works a treat.

Many fish are believed to benefit from the tannins, I prefer the more natural look of the stained water. Over time the bogwood should release less and less tannins.

Purigen vs. Carbon Purigen is a better choice in value over time. Carbon is non reusable and over time costs way more. The bleach recharge is safe. I have used purigen many times and have performed the recharge safely many times as well. You just have to remember that the chlorine evaporates once totally dry. Even then, a 3 to 5 times dose of dechlorinator will neutralize any remaining chlorine after the rinse. Just follow the directions for the recharge and you will be fine if you decide to use purigen.

As for the tannins, I quite like the look of the tea stained water and as stated above it is believed to have benefit for fish. Some breeders go to great lengths to add special leaves to leach tannins into their tanks for just this purpose. If you can stand to look at the water this way, it is truer to nature!

My bogwood has yet to release any tannins. Water's still crystal clear.

Thanks for your wisdoms, I'll stick with the "tea-water.." / I don't keep a light on the tank beacause it is mostly bottom-dwellers, just an occasional flashlight when giving visitors the fish tour..

fish4962

Thanks for your wisdoms, I'll stick with the "tea-water.." / I don't keep a light on the tank beacause it is mostly bottom-dwellers, just an occasional flashlight when giving visitors the fish tour..

fish4962
So it isn't a natural-plant tank then.

Most reactions

Back