Tanks With Plastic At Bottom

007_gaz

Reaction score
hi, i just wanted to check, u know some tanks have like a plastic tray cover at bottom, with these tanks do u still need polystrene under base or is that plastic tray desingned to support it? i just wondered if it matters if u put extra polystrene under there just to give bit extra support yea.

By plastic you mean the trim?  I only know of tanks that are straight, and tanks that the sides/front/back support the weight, and the bottom is actually like 1/2" elevated.

One of them your not supposed to use foam under, the other is fine I'm not sure myself

yea thats what i ment that elevated thing where bottom of tank isnt touching the cabinet, but say u did have polytrene under the plastic is there a disavantage here?

I'd wait till someone else chimes in, but I believe if the tank is elevated your not supposed to use polytrene, not sure why.  I know two of my tanks are like this and I did indeed add foamboard between the plywood in my stand and the tank itself.  If your not supposed to its held fine for 6 months but I do plan to empty the tank and make it level ( its a little off, but its a huge tank ) and when I do that I will remove the foam

I was told at the LFS that with my 54litre juwel tank , not to use any foam because the tank has a plastic base.

They also told me that if i didnt purchase the stand my warranty is void. LOL

The idea of polystyrene tiles is to even out any discrepancies between a solid glass base of a tank and the cabinet.
If the tank is suspended on a plastic frame then the glass isn't in contact with the cabinet and so shouldn't need the polystyrene. Putting a softish layer under the plastic frame could make it more unstable and put a strain / twist on the tank?
That's as best that I understand these things!

Floating base tanks need a stable, flat surface, but they generally don't go on polystyrene. They're designed to take the weight of the tank on the frame. Generally the warranties are related to the tank being on the recommended surface (which is their own stand, of course).

Most reactions

Back