Tanks That Hang

I'm serious, here's a hanging 55 gallon above some hanging 5.5's with some 2.5's stacked on top;

dsc018531yx9.jpg

Though there might be a new trick.

I think the hanging tanks are bad news.

They are way too small, like has already been said. Hard to do the water change and clean it when it's up on the wall. (The ones I saw didn't looke like they would sit on a flat surface at all) Ruining your walls with stray water. If improperly hung, could come crashing down. Would look stupid with electrical cords trailing out of it.

I can understand the initial reaction of "that's different, how cool", but give it a little thought and it's a bad idea.

It may be 6 gallons but the Betta would hardly be able to turn around as it's only 4.5" deep!!!! These things are all just gimmicks for these people to make money out of and don't take into account the fishes needs at all IMO.

Oh, I didn't see the depth...agreed, not much room to turn around.

Moral of the story... stay away from tanks that are aesthetically pleasing to you due to their "cuteness" and shape. Instead, buy a tank that is well suited to house a FISH and decorate it to your liking. ;)

The hang on the wall tanks are not really a suitable home. And anyone can make the argument that a betta lives just fine in an unfiltered bowl.... true..... but consider that the only difference between a betta and most aquarium fish is their ability to breathe surface air. Keeping a betta in a less suitable home than say a tetra is really due to societal conditioning. Bettas can live in anything and are the perfect little pet with little maintenance, right?........

Bettas live much better lives with proper fish care. ie. filter, heater, ample swimming room. It's undeniable and if someone is truly claiming to love their betta, they should provide the best home possible. That does not encompass a tiny wall hanging tank with small surface area.

edit: not directed at anyone and certainly not you little mermaid. just an overall general point i was making ;)

OMG those poor birds! Are they real birds in there? That must be awful, there would be no air flow in that cage at all and the fish swimming past but out of reach must torment them all day!

I don't like birds in cages. At all.

The first tank reminds me of this one that I saw on here earlier this year... it was like a little office with a desk and chair and computer. Far too small for a betta, unfortunately, but a cute decor! The middle one looks great - I don't know why, but I actually quite like it, the only problem I can see with it is very low surface area for its capacity, and vastly overstocked, but any responsible fishkeeper would just use very small fish and reduce their numbers accordingly.

How did they plant it though! Or clean it lol!

I have actually seen betta-on-wall bubbles that were, IMO, large enough for bettas, they were about $30, holding about 2 gallons. They can't just be hung with a piece of string though, due to the weight there's a frame that has to be screwed onto the wall so unless you're good at covering up holes with putty and paint, you'd be left with holes in the wall if you ever removed it. It was basically half a sphere but with a flat bottom, and adequate surface area and swimming room for one betta IMO. Heating and filtration would be impossible though unless you put a reptile mat between the tank and the wall, and ran a bubbler or something in the tank. In Australia the heating isn't an issue, and loads of people myself included keep bettas without filters just fine.

OMG those poor birds! Are they real birds in there? That must be awful, there would be no air flow in that cage at all and the fish swimming past but out of reach must torment them all day!

I don't like birds in cages. At all.

The first tank reminds me of this one that I saw on here earlier this year... it was like a little office with a desk and chair and computer. Far too small for a betta, unfortunately, but a cute decor! The middle one looks great - I don't know why, but I actually quite like it, the only problem I can see with it is very low surface area for its capacity, and vastly overstocked, but any responsible fishkeeper would just use very small fish and reduce their numbers accordingly.

How did they plant it though! Or clean it lol!

I have actually seen betta-on-wall bubbles that were, IMO, large enough for bettas, they were about $30, holding about 2 gallons. They can't just be hung with a piece of string though, due to the weight there's a frame that has to be screwed onto the wall so unless you're good at covering up holes with putty and paint, you'd be left with holes in the wall if you ever removed it. It was basically half a sphere but with a flat bottom, and adequate surface area and swimming room for one betta IMO. Heating and filtration would be impossible though unless you put a reptile mat between the tank and the wall, and ran a bubbler or something in the tank. In Australia the heating isn't an issue, and loads of people myself included keep bettas without filters just fine.
The bird 'cage' is inside the tank with the air vents above the water surface. The maintenance on that would really suck.... and agreed... it would be hard to keep a bird in a cage. Yet we keep wild fish in tanks.....

I think the second one might be a creative photoshop project...... that or it was constructed without functionality.

My biggest problem with those tanks is seeing goldfish as stocking.... which require huge amounts of space and filtration. *shmeh*

I still think hang on the wall tanks (ehem... bowls) are a compromise.... but what you described is much better.

and out of curiosity:
"In Australia the heating isn't an issue, and loads of people myself included keep bettas without filters just fine"

did you mean without heaters or without filters? or both?

The problem with the air flow in the submerged birdcage isn't so much getting air to the birds as getting fumes out. Anybody who's ever kept a hamster or mouse in a retired fish tank will know what I mean - the ammonia fumes from waste build up and don't dissipate well through the vents on the top, so you have to clean the tank far more often than you would a cage with ventilation all the way around, or else you get a rank smell (which is also toxic to your pet).

Most reactions

Back