Tanks That Contained Rats

Robbo25

Reaction score
I soon could be acquiring a fish tank that was used for rats.
Would there be any problems using this for my fish? and what should I use to clean the tank?

Of course, give it a thoroughly good bleaching!

As rats have sharp claws and teeth and like to knaw and scratch do a detailed inspection of the sealant on the inside. Half fill with water and check for leaks or seepage then fill to the top and leave overnight. Providing you do not splash any water on the outside a good tip is to wrap toilet paper around the bottom of the tank and that will indicate even the slightest seep.

Check the glass thickness, tanks designed for terrarium use are made with thinner glass, and are not strong enough to hold the water pressure when full.

If it is thick enough one part bleach to twenty parts water will disinfect it. Rinse well, and use double the dechlorinator when filling. When I fill tanks that I haven't used yet I fill 1/3, and wait, then 2/3, wait again, then fill to the top. If they hold water overnight without leaking they are good to go. Filling 1/3 at a time helps pinpoint any leaks.

Sorry, I thought he had established that it was actually a Fish Tank in his OP.

when you haved bleached the tank, use a 3x solution of your normal water conditioner that will elimiante any bleach left over, personally I would reseal all internal seals, rats claws are very sharp.

Cheers
J

Cheers guys, some great advice there. It is a fish tank yes but was used for rats.
good point about the claws!

Rats also continuously urinate, so when scrubbing the tank its probably best to get an old toothbrush to scrub in the corners just to ensure you clean all possible contaminated areas.

Also when you do your tank cycle (i.e no fish), at the end of the weak do a water test just incase.

Most reactions

Back