Tankmates?

fish_tank0311

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone. My fighter fish recently past away, as you may have noticed. So i was looking to replace him, and cant get any sense out of tankmates. He was in with 4 blue gouramis, and 4 angels, and was fine, but i have been told angels are dangerous, and gouramis are a definite no-no. But i just had 1 in with angels and gouramis, and yes the fighter nipped their fins here and there, but they grew back. Big whoop. But I've decided to listen to people and go all new tankmates. But who do i trust on what tankmates. About tetras as tankmates, some people you can ask if neons suit, and they will be like "NO!!!". Others will give you the big long speech about how some people have had success, while others not. And other people will just be like.... "Why not"... So in a 86 litre, (um 21 or something gallon), What tankmates? :blink:

hiya :)

Can i just start off by saying 4 Gouramis and 4 Angels should not be in a 86L tank :good:

Ok.... So now to the betta tankmates. It is entirly to do with the Bettas temperament. My Lunar got on well with a Gourami and Tetras, yet the others went crazy if they had to go into the community tank. (not at the same time as the other betta, ofcourse)

So, try it, but be prepared for Plan B at the first sign of aggression. :good:

Well I only have 1 gourami in the 86 litre now, and whats wrong with 4 angels? They are only tiny. So i need tankmates... I don't think you said 1 suitable tankmate?

Well I only have 1 gourami in the 86 litre now, and whats wrong with 4 angels? They are only tiny. So i need tankmates... I don't think you said 1 suitable tankmate?

Angels don't stay tiny. They grow up to 8 inches long and are very 'tall', so need a tank at least 18 inches tall

hey.

My parents used to have two breeding angels, sailfin mollies, a male fighter an a few other fish. not sure on the size of the tank it was years ago. I have have found it best to read a bit see what they say about the fish you like. Ask a few people you trust about fish (who have keep them) and try...

Hi everyone. My fighter fish recently past away, as you may have noticed. So i was looking to replace him, and cant get any sense out of tankmates. He was in with 4 blue gouramis, and 4 angels, and was fine, but i have been told angels are dangerous, and gouramis are a definite no-no. But i just had 1 in with angels and gouramis, and yes the fighter nipped their fins here and there, but they grew back. Big whoop. But I've decided to listen to people and go all new tankmates. But who do i trust on what tankmates. About tetras as tankmates, some people you can ask if neons suit, and they will be like "NO!!!". Others will give you the big long speech about how some people have had success, while others not. And other people will just be like.... "Why not"... So in a 86 litre, (um 21 or something gallon), What tankmates? :blink:

As you are going for all new tankmates, some of the ones off the top of my head that people have kept with bettas with a reasonable amount of success (depending on the betta) are:

Corys
Kuhli loaches
African dwarf frogs
Shrimp
Endlers
Platies
Apple snails

I'm sure there are others that would go, but that's all I can think of for now. Or you in a 86 litre you could do a female sorority, that's what I'd do :good:

Where are you going to put your existing gouramis and angels if the 86L is for betta and friends?

Hi everyone. My fighter fish recently past away, as you may have noticed. So i was looking to replace him, and cant get any sense out of tankmates. He was in with 4 blue gouramis, and 4 angels, and was fine, but i have been told angels are dangerous, and gouramis are a definite no-no. But i just had 1 in with angels and gouramis, and yes the fighter nipped their fins here and there, but they grew back. Big whoop. But I've decided to listen to people and go all new tankmates. But who do i trust on what tankmates. About tetras as tankmates, some people you can ask if neons suit, and they will be like "NO!!!". Others will give you the big long speech about how some people have had success, while others not. And other people will just be like.... "Why not"... So in a 86 litre, (um 21 or something gallon), What tankmates?
blink.gif

As you are going for all new tankmates, some of the ones off the top of my head that people have kept with bettas with a reasonable amount of success (depending on the betta) are:

Corys
Kuhli loaches
African dwarf frogs
Shrimp
Endlers
Platies
Apple snails

I'm sure there are others that would go, but that's all I can think of for now. Or you in a 86 litre you could do a female sorority, that's what I'd do
good.gif

Where are you going to put your existing gouramis and angels if the 86L is for betta and friends?
I would also add the dwarf gourmis, but would depend on the betta I have a gourmis in with my CT and the gourmis I have is a dwarf fire one, can't really remember, but know it is kinda aggresive and they dont bother ea other but thats in a 40gal breeder tank

Corys
Kuhli loaches
African dwarf frogs
Shrimp
Endlers
Platies
Apple snails

I'm sure there are others that would go, but that's all I can think of for now. Or you in a 86 litre you could do a female sorority, that's what I'd do :good:

Just my experience: I tried Platies with my female betta and one of the platy attacked the betta and tore her fin! I prefer to keep my betta alone to be on the safe side.

Hi all. Was planning on maybe putting the angels into a 4 foot tank. I see some people are suggesting shrimp and snails and stuff, but tbh i find them boring, and am just interested in fish tankmates. Iv tried to put a male and female in the 86 litre and the female got pwned. Was thinking of mollies, anyone have anything to say about putting mollies in?

I've found great success with rummynose tetras (these have been excellent - pretty, shoaling and peaceful), corys, shrimp and platies

I'd have to second (third?) getting cories... I'm definitely a little biased, but I've had a lot of success keeping them with bettas. They are very active and fun to watch snuffling around for food, come in a bunch of different colors, and tend to get on well with bettas IME.

With my PK in a 3ft tank he shared it with (before he died today) clown loaches, german blue rams, neon tetras and corys. I think it also depends on your bettas personality. My PK is totally different to my VT Ramjet for example. He has never shared his lil 38ltr tank before apart from with a Plec and that was unsuccessfull. Hes a solo boy.

With Midnight my VT i have 6 Glowlight Tetra and 4 Panda Corys and a small Bristlenose Pleco.

With Chilly my CT i have 7 Pacific Blue Eye Tetras and am planning on getting some more Panda Corys.

Both Midnight and Chilly get on with their tankmates as was said before, it depends on each individual fish.

Aims. x

Most reactions

Back