Tankmates With A Polypterus

Genesis

If you're a cory and you know it clap your.. hands
Reaction score
i have 5 scissortail rasboras (rasbora trinealinatus) theyre about 2 inches atm, the polypterus is about 4-5 inches, should they be okay (they will get to 10cm)?

will? cry1.gif

Yes. If he can catch them....Although i do have rainbow fish with mine, but they are about 1/3rd of his size. He has eaten one over the years, but the rest im pretty sure are safe. My senegal is fat and lazy :p

it is not so much the length of the fish that is the 'safe' part more the depth.
a long slender fish could become food whereas a short stocky fish proberbly wouldn't.

I have lost 2 red tail hemodious(10cm, but thin) to one of my bichars, where as my bengai danios (8cm, but fat) are all safe and sound.

personally I wouldn't take the chance with scissors and a bichar.

all 5 got munched :-(

It's suprising what they'll eat, even though he's a lazy git and very well fed, my del went through 8 danios in two weeks... Here's hoping the black widow tetras are too big for him...

It's suprising what they'll eat, even though he's a lazy git and very well fed, my del went through 8 danios in two weeks... Here's hoping the black widow tetras are too big for him...

I have a fully grown female platy in with my two Poly's she is fine, but as stated above, she is FAT lol and they dont even look at her as a meal, the same as the fully grown tiger barb too.

when they get bigger I will have to move them, but they are fine for now.

As for Danios, that was just a silly mix, my apollogies, I dont mean to offend. unless they were fully grown giant danios?

if you want a good tank mate, go for a large synodontis, or talking cat fish (platydoras costatus) even large Clownloachs.

Just keep in mind that you are better off with LARGE peiceful tank mates.

Plecs are a good choice, many people have said use a Bristlenose as they dont tend to latch onto the poly's and suck their slime coat, I had a BN in with mine for months, but I also had a L001 in another tank, and it became TOO big for that tank, so I swapped the BN and the L001, and I've had no problems at all.

As for Danios, that was just a silly mix, my apollogies, I dont mean to offend. unless they were fully grown giant danios?

LOl, s'ok. Just normal zebra danios- it was more of a 'well, if they get eaten, it's their fault'- they definately appreciated the space of a 4fter as opposed to the 2ft. I knew they'd get eaten eventually, but I thought it would be when the del was actually big enough to eat things that big :lol: Guess I was mistaken.

when i got my first polypeterus senegalus, it went in a comunity as it was 5" or so, and small. he swallowed a full size siamise male fighter.... so i wouldnt recomend putting them together... but hey my experieinces not yours :hey:

Most reactions

Back