Tankmates For Betta?

bubble87

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
what else could i add to my tank
i have a 35 litre tank with 1 male betta
could i have 2 dwarf gourami?? or 2 honey gourami??

best to post this on the betta forum, you will get more luck, but with what i have read its best to keep them on there lonesome!!
james

When I had an opaline gourami and a betta in the same tank ..it really didn't work well. But I can't say the same for the other types. My betta did very well with danios and red mountain minnows. The only problem was when I got a gold longfinned danio, he chased that one.

Gouramis are particularly problematic because both fish are closely related and both are territorial, so even if the Betta doesn't mind, the Gourami very well might. They also occupy the same top layer of the water. If you insist, dwarf gouramis are supposedly more tolerant, female dwarves in particular (being male the Betta might still have issues, see below). That doesn't necessarily mean it would fit in a 35L tank. The size of the tank is problematic because if either fish had problems, they might have trouble hiding.

Otherwise, good rules of thumb as I understand are to avoid other fish with colorful long fins that the betta might confuse for competition (fancy guppies are a good example), fish that occupy the same region of the water, and fish that might nip the fins of the Betta. That doesn't mean you can't have colorful fish, just make sure they are not at all likely to be confused for another Betta (another reason why gouramis are a bad choice). So I would aim for something reasonably small that stays on the bottom/middle tier, swims quick so it can get away if they Betta gets pushy, and isn't aggressive or nippy.

Bettas are fish with unique personalities. One betta may not tolerate ANY fish around them, on the other hand I've heard of people that successfully kept (DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS!!) two males together without conflict. It all depends on the individual fish.

I think that usually female guppies and things like that are okay. :3 Or male guppies with not too colourful or long fins! :3

Betta's vary greatly in personality i have found since keeping a few. I think its best if you observe there personality. My male betta (simon) is with some male guppies, 2 dwarf Gourmais and even two female fighters. They are all peaceful with each other! He's a big softie really, he sometimes he does chase the male gourmai but it's more playful then serious. Same with a red male guppy but its nothing aggressive, which i've seen with other betta's. He even got battered from a female betta which I had to remove from the tank. Anyway point being it all depends on the fish.

Sorry i went off on a tangent there lol. :good:

Most reactions

Back