Tankless Fishless Cycling

I got to meet an actual forum member in person today! Pretty cool. I only know of three of us within a few hundred miles of each other.

You're welcome, Robby - I hope the used sponge helps kick start the ole bucket cycle!

24 hours later and the ammonia has gone from 4.0 ppm to a little lighter green than what the color card shows for 4.0 ppm. I was expecting a 48 hour bounce back, but it seems that they are already making a difference. It's not enough yet to show a result on the nitrite card though.

Day 9

Temp: 82 F
Ammonia: >4 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 8.2

Feel like I should have been there. Hey, you guys don't realize it but RDD himself is also near to us. We keep missing each other schedule-wise but he gave me some good summaries of Charlotte shops and the like. It's just great that you have a tank again robby.

WD

Yeah, I find myself missing it terribly. I dunno, some people get fish and are content just to keep them alive. I pay very close attention to my fish observing their behavior, condition, etc. It's just a passion, and I get a great sense of accomplishment from it. It's very positive for me.

We should all take a trip to the Atlanta aquarium this summer. I've never been there myself.

O, it's awesome! The whole convention went there together during the Atlanta AGA and I was lucky enough to be with a guy, Dave M., who owns a shop down in Florida and is just amazing with his salt knowledge. It was like being in oceanography class all over again, lol. WD

I've encountered an odd test result. I tested all values twice just to be sure.

Ammonia has dropped to 2 ppm, no nitrite reading, and 5.0 ppm nitrate reading. I tested the tap again just to ensure my results were valid and the result was 0 ppm.

Do you think it is possible that there are more N-bacs than A-bacs in the donated media, or that more of them survived the transition from tank to bucket?

This is very familiar. I think the exact same thing happened when I took media from the same filter and started cycling a new one!

Yes, I've noticed it several times with donated media cases, the N-Bacs start processing through to nitrate sooner than you think! WD

Well, there is definitely some activity. My ammonia dropped to 1.0 ppm last night and there was a slight nitrite reading, not enough to measure, but the solution inside was slightly purple. It seems as if the faster reproducing A-bacs have caught up with the slower N-bacs.

I re-dosed ammonia, and added another filter, this one belongs to my buddy who has been trying to fishless cycle his tank since before Christmas unsuccessfully. I might as well cycle it for him since he doesn't like to follow directions :)

Your statement about cycling your buddy's tank since he didn't want to follow directions made me laugh! I'm glad your cycle is moving along. :good:

I swapped my filters and media into my 30G tank yesterday. I topped up with 4.0 ppm ammonia, added bicarb to the water to raise the pH, and let it sit.

Measurements as of today:

Ammonia: 2.0ppm
Nitrite: >5 ppm
Nitrate: 30 ppm ±

I also added an aquaclear 50 to the tank and added some mature media to it's basket.

This cycle is progressing fast thanks to Gvilleguy's media :D Thanks again!

I bet that Aquaclear 50 rocks. I have the Aquaclear 20 and I love how well it keeps the water clear.

Ammonia was at .25 this morning, nitrite off the scale, and nitrates about the same as yesterday, between 30 and 40 ppm. pH has fallen to 7.6, I gotta take a trip to the store to get some bicarb.

Ammonia was .25 ppm in 14 hours, nitrate way off the scale, nitrates still between 30 and 40.

I performed a 50% water change and re-dosed with ammonia, don't want those nitrites to get too high :D

Most reactions

Back