Tank Water Feels Cold But Thermometer Says 78-80*f

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BaylorPerez

Fishaholic
Reaction score
so my water doesnt seem to feel the way that 80*F water should, i have 2 thermometers in the tank(ones a stick on and another one is a bottom standing thermometer) the stick on one says 78*, but my bottom standing one says 80*, yet the water feels like more into the 60s. (the bottom standing one is brand new(less than 3 days old)). is my water really that high in tempt? or is it just that my hand and arm when put in it is just supposed to feel really cold when im getting 2 different readings from 2 different types of thermometers.

The way tankwater feels is dependent on how warm you are. In summer, when you are nice and warm, tankwater feels cold. But in winter, especially if you've been outside to the garage to collect the tank cleaning equipment (like I have to), you are cold so the water feels warm.
Go by the thermometer not the temperature it feels.

And those thermometers that stick on the outside of the tank are affected by fluctuations in air temperature. The ones that are in the water are more likely to be correct.

alright, also the stick on thermometer i have had it since i transfered the tank from a reptile tank(completely cleaned and scrubbed down from the 2 days of cleaning it), do i just use a razer and skin it off or is their a better way to take it off?

Agree with what essjay said, and my well water comes up from the ground at about 55 degrees. So, once you feel that for awhile, my tank water feels straight up hot lol

I go through this every time I clean my tanks, and the opposite when it's cold in my house 

BaylorPerez said:
alright, also the stick on thermometer i have had it since i transfered the tank from a reptile tank(completely cleaned and scrubbed down from the 2 days of cleaning it), do i just use a razer and skin it off or is their a better way to take it off?

I would leave the stick on the outside one there. It may not be the most accurate but it is very visible. You can see it every time you walk past the tank. If it suddenly shows a temperature that is lower or higher than usual, you'll know to check with the thermometer inside the tank.

Most reactions

Back