Tank Upgrade Journal

Decided to go with a glass oveflow with a blue plastic facing after weighing up the pros and cons. Bought the glass today and have begun construction. For anybody who is going to do this I have begun construction outside of the tank by siliconing the 2 pieces togeather at 90° and once that has set fix the whole box into the tank. By doing it this way I have a solid object to move around inside the tank and wont have to worry about the corner of the overflow slipping out of position.

I've also given the tank a good scrub down and will be painting the back tomorrow.

Ok painted the back blue which reacted with the glass and was scrapped off shortly after it dried and tank recleaned. :X

Weir is in place, return sorted and all other pipework ready so test fill last night. Got home at 23:30 and was still going at 03:00 never mind. SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK! :p

The obligatory child in tank shot just after I brought it home.
03032007079.jpg

Durso standpipe up and running. Had a few problems with this. Originally started with a length of airline tubing with a valve in the end siliconed into the cap but this didn't work well at all with the water level bouncing like mad. So resorted to the old faithful. Blutack. Used this to cover the hole and slowly opened it till all was well.
22032007082.jpg

The return plumbing I went for in the end. Robbhp if you notice I stole your idea for the outlet. ;) When the pump turns off the water drains approx 1/2" below the overflow due to the return line but then breaks syphon so no worries there.
22032007084.jpg

The return is creating loads of surface movement more so than you can see in the photo.
22032007083.jpg

Well there you go so far. Ball valves have been fitted to all sump plumbing so that it can be isolated with no pita.

Hope you like. :)

Good work on the plumbing, way to master a difficult concept :good:

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Forgot to say this project has now claimed my blood. Now it's proper DIY. LOL

Yeah, it's not a proper job till you draw blood on it. I'm lucky i heal well, almost every job i do i get a little nick here or there!

It's looking really good though, but surely with the kid you're overstocked?! :lol:

Most reactions

Back