Tank Uncycling?

FiremanSam

Reaction score
G'day All,

Is it possible to uncycle a tank by doing to many water changes? I change the water in my cichlids tank once a week about 50% but I seem to constantly be cleaning algae of the rocks and glass. There is no plants in this tank. The light is only on for about 6 hours a day on for 2 hours then off again.

Tank size about 175 litres
120cm L x 42cm D x36cm W

With 1 30watt 120cm fluro globe.

1100 litres and hour canister filter and a small air ball.

heatered to around 26 degrees celcius

fish stock

2 Electric yellows
2 Red top zebras
2 Blue dolphins

I have been thinking ou\f using a product called Algae Cure any other Ideas???

Cheers in advance.

Do you know what your tap water nitrates and phosphates are? some people have plenty high enough levels in the tap water they do water changes with to cause constant algae problems.

The only thing that will 'uncycle' a tank is using undechlorinated water for water changes; the chlorine will kill the bacteria in the filter.

So if you use chlorinator it will uncycle your tank? Saying that because you threw a double negative in that last post with undechlorinated water

Not a double negative in the sense of the much-used ''I ain't got nothing''. There is another way to say that undechlorinated water will uncycle a tank; which is that water which has not been dechlorinated will uncycle a tank. But if one was to use correct English all the time, people would no doubt consider one to be a tosser. In general I hate the misuse of the English language. All it takes is a little thought. Generally, double negatives are a no-no..............

The only thing that will 'uncycle' a tank is using undechlorinated water for water changes; the chlorine will kill the bacteria in the filter.

Thats simply not true at all. There are many things that will "uncycle" a tank, anoxic conditions in substrate, over night power cuts, ph crashs, high temperatures causing oxygen starvation, many tank medications, high levels of copper, mercury and other chemicals in the water. Insufficient levels of phosphate can be a problem as well. I believe that Ive read that some nitrobacter colonies start to crash at temperatures around 32oC!Theres many things that can cause a tank to uncycle!

Chlorinated water also is not a guaranteed to uncycle a tank, certainly a tank that is on the limits filtration wise or a relatively newly setup chlorine levels in the tap water can be disastrous.

Most reactions

Back