Tank Temperature

stiffler69

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Strange increase in my tank temp when i got up this morning it hadnt rised on the digi thermometer but it was almost warm to touch will this sort of increase effect the fish in anyway im not sure what has caused it but im trying to get the temp down to normal now :good:

hi , does your tank have a light, do u put your light on a certain number of hours aday, if so did u forget to turn it off ,other than that im sure someone else will be slong soon with another answer soon . melz

hi , does your tank have a light, do u put your light on a certain number of hours aday, if so did u forget to turn it off ,other than that im sure someone else will be slong soon with another answer soon . melz

Hi no it only stays on for 12 hours its been off over night and will be back on today i think ive found out what has caused the rise in the temperature i had a algae magnet on the tank u think this could of interfeared with the heater and digital thermometer as the temperature has been fine until that was put into the tank

hi , i really couldnt say sorry as i am new to all this, but im sure someone else will be able to answer that for you,

P.S i have a post do u have an idea when i can test my water again after a 25% water change

Do you have your central heating on during the night atall? The temperature of the room does affect the tank temp.

Does your heater have the numbers on it, for setting the temp? If it doesn't, has it moved at all? If it's got the numbers, did it get bumped?

If none of those are possible, I might think about changing out the heater. When heaters go weird, they can kill fish.

It seems to have stabled out now around 26 to 26.5 i think it could of been the magnet or maybe the tank was normal and i was cold on the morning making me think the tank was warmer than usual not sure but all seems well now so going to watch it closely

I started off using a digital thermometer, and binned it after I found out it was reading 3-4 degrees C to low.

I now use a standard aquarium thermometer and an adhesive strip thermometer on both of my tanks, just in case one becomes inaccurate.

Andy

Adhesive stick on thermometres aren't too great though, they get influenced by room temperature. Been using a digital one with a probe and it seems to be doing a nice job :)

Hi no it only stays on for 12 hours its been off over night and will be back on today i think ive found out what has caused the rise in the temperature i had a algae magnet on the tank u think this could of interfeared with the heater and digital thermometer as the temperature has been fine until that was put into the tank
humm, it could just be that the magnet is absorbing heat, so as the house, and water cool down, the magnet will release the stored heat. not sure, but it makes some sense. it would also be more noticeable if the temp differential between the room and tank is quite big.

hi , i really couldnt say sorry as i am new to all this, but im sure someone else will be able to answer that for you,

P.S i have a post do u have an idea when i can test my water again after a 25% water change
you can test it right away after. but waiting till the tanks water has all been through the filter, check the pump capacity to find out how long that is, would not hurt if you are unsure.

Most reactions

Back