Tank Temperature

spooks

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently 75% through cycling my Rekord 60 (56L) fish tank and I have a question about tank temperature. I have my heater set to 76F (24.4C) but during the day the temperature will rise between 78F - 80F due to the room temperature and tank lighting. Ideally I would like to maintain a steady 78F but if I set my temperature to 78F I am slightly worried that the temp might exceed 80F.

Firstly I would like to know if 76F is an okay temperature to set it to and then secondly is the flucuation between 76F and 80F ok?

Cheers,

Spooks

Hey spooks, 76 is good. My temp also fluctuates, but the way I look at it is this - in nature, the temp goes up and down with the sun rising and setting so I don't think it will pose a problem. It hasn't yet with my tank. 80 is a little high for some fish, but I personally have not had any problems. I keep my heater set at about 77 and it never gets lower than that, but does go a bit higher during the day. HTH and again, best of luck.

A daily fluctuation of that magnitude is very UNlikely to cause a problem. If you turn your heater up to 78F you probably will find it will exceed 80F.

Fish vary in their requirements of course, and maintaining constant temperature is ideal, but most tropical fish can handle more than 4F change over the course of a day. Much more I thunk in most cases.

A daily fluctuation of that magnitude is very likely to cause a problem. If you turn your heater up to 78F you probably will find it will exceed 80F.

Fish vary in their requirements of course, and maintaining constant temperature is ideal, but most tropical fish can handle more than 4F change over the course of a day. Much more I thunk in most cases.

You say that it is very likely that it will cause a problem but then you go on to say that most tropical fish can handle a 4 degree change in a day? I'm confused, are you saying that the temperature fluctuation is acceptable or not? :blink:

You say that it is very likely that it will cause a problem but then you go on to say that most tropical fish can handle a 4 degree change in a day? I'm confused, are you saying that the temperature fluctuation is acceptable or not? :blink:

It is no wonder you are confused. I'm having a dysleksick moment apparently! I'm very sorry for my mistake there. I have edited the post so that noone can read it and misunderstand. I meant to say that it is very UNlikely that it will cause a problem.

Pfew, i was confused there too - was wondering why it hadn't killed all my fish yet lol! Understandable accident. Spook - it sounds like you are good for now, but try to keep it below 80 I would say.

Most reactions

Back