Tank Size

littlefishies

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the min. size tank for 3 tinfoil barbs and 2 bala sharks. They are only 3 to 4 inches right now. I have them in a 38 gal. and have just bought a second hand 75 gal. They are in with 3 gouramies and a featherfin catfish. Still not sure if 75 is big enough.

Also how long can I leave them in the 38 gal.

Thanks

littlefishes

littlefishies said:
Can anyone tell me what the min. size tank for 3 tinfoil barbs and 2 bala sharks. They are only 3 to 4 inches right now. I have them in a 38 gal. and have just bought a second hand 75 gal. They are in with 3 gouramies and a featherfin catfish. Still not sure if 75 is big enough.
your 75 gallon should be fine IMO as long as you don't overstock with other fish. WHat you have now plus a few other medium sized fish and you are pretty much done.

Also how long can I leave them in the 38 gal.

If you have the 75 gallon now then I see no reason why you shouldn't move them straight to it (once cycled obviously). The longer you leave them in the 38 the more risk you run of stressing them out and also stunting their growth.

steve

Thanks so much for the advice!

The reason I asked how long can I leave them in the 38 gal. is because we have to clean up and buy stand, lighting etc. for the 75. So it will be a few weeks before it is up and ready. So will they be ok in the 38 for now.

Thanks again!

So will they be ok in the 38 for now.

Of course, they're small still and you have plans for them in the works, so you have no worries. Don't overfeed them, give the tinfoils a mostly-veggie diet, and they won't grow too fast either.

Minnimum tank size for the balas is 125 gals because of their activity level. The barbs would be fine in that gallonage too. Also, balas are very nervous fish and must be kept in a shoal. Unfortunately, due to the limmitations because of their size, the reccomended minnimum is 3 (I would preffer it were at least 6 and just make the minnimum tank size greater but it doesn't suit most people). You can keep them all in the 75 for a while after you move them from the 38 but it will eventualy be necessary to upgrade (when they get to around 9").

but i do know it is really quick!!!!!!!!

I've kept Bala's on several occasions and always found them to be slow grower's, you should have plenty of time with the 75 gal before you need to organise a bigger tank for them.

I've had my balas for a little over a year. They are in a 75 gallon tank and they are about 6-7 inches. They were only about 2 inches when I got them.

Most reactions

Back