Tank Size For Betta Harmony

Nicki's male was brought as female so lived in that tank most of his life which is why he accepted the females around him.

Rice paddies theres something to hide in every few cm so they can get away with it and although shallow are miles wide. Personally as a keeper & breeder its a big no no in tanks. Females shouldn't be kept with males either.

Nicki's male was brought as female so lived in that tank most of his life which is why he accepted the females around him.

Rice paddies theres something to hide in every few cm so they can get away with it and although shallow are miles wide. Personally as a keeper & breeder its a big no no in tanks. Females shouldn't be kept with males either.
That's why i said it wasnt reccommended :D

Thanks for your replies guys. Thanks for taking it with an open mind, it really was just a 'what if' question, rather than a serious plan for a tank!

The tanks in your hunting shop sound pretty amazing! Shame I'm not closer to Texas otherwise I would have to check them out!

yeah, its pretty interesting, i reckon a betta would get lost in there though, as the 3.5 feet red tailed cats look like a harlequin rasbora in a 4-5 foot tank :lol:

I had a thread that posed this question, except I do want to keep such a tank. Ioraxchick was most helpful in her contributions to the thread. Have a read. http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/374930-three-males-one-tank/page__p__3137721#entry3137721

After more consideration, I intend to have a 4x2x2 with two males and 2 females, or along those lines, moderately planted, with some green neons. Tannins, surely.

Ideally, I would love to have a 6x3x3 with 4-5 males and 6 or so females, with a school of small fish. Planted, of course. (And another 6x3x3 or something for a school of wild discus, drools.) But that wouldn't be for another ten years when I have my own house :p

I strongly believe we should keep as close to a natural tank as possible, ie a ton of space, lots of live plants, great water/environment for all. I think it's quite silly to think fish are sadistic, unthinking murderers by nature and will do anything for no better reason than what is presumably 'by nature', chase another fish to the ends of the earth just to kill it; hence requiring 900g or 12x12 of water for two male splendens.

Difference between a monster tank and a natural habitat? If you were to try to replicate as hard as you can a natural habitat, it'll surely be a lot of effort but other than seasonal changes, weather changes, etc, I doubt there's much difference. Takashi Amano (ah, my idol) whose personal tank that he has been keeping for several years, dimensions about 4meter x 1.5 x 1.5m, has angels, neons or cardinals, I can't quite remember, amongst others. And they breed there. Neons/cardinals are notoriously hard to breed and keep fry alive to adulthood. And he doesn't even try to separate them and specially feed them as many keepers do. He just leaves them to do their thing. So yes, I do believe there is little difference when done correctly.

Btw splendens don't just live in rice paddies. Not sure if there's still pure strain wild splendens, but wild bettas in general live from a range of different environments from rivers, streams, drains, paddies and grassy fields etc. Sure the habitat can be shallow and be miles long, but doesn't mean those miles are kept by one single betta as territory. Even lions or wolves keep to their own limited territory as it's too much energy to threaten other packs from or expand their lands constantly and the fear of their own death would keep them from doing stupid things; much less a two inch fish--how much territory can it possibly hold?

Amano's personal tank. Not sure when this was taken. Layout has undergone quite a few changes over the years, so google "Takashi amano personal tank" for better process. Credit to whoever took that.

ada7ql1.jpg

Thats great! Good luck with your tank, I hope you prove all the sceptics wrong. I would be interested to know how you get on, maybe some pics?

So how big would a tank need to be to be a peaceful, harmonious betta spendens species tank. Several males all with their own territories and bubble nests, females around the place, maybe even some breeding. And what tank conditions would be best? I guess as close to the still shallow muddy bottomed waters of home?

You might be interested in posts #27-37 here.

that would be awesome to have an indoor in your house pond if it was possibly i would do it to, but you never know when i make it big and build my mansion i would totally do it :shifty:

Most reactions

Back