Tank Overstocked?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jay0173 said:

Hi, I currently have 6 guppies, 2 mollies, and 2 snails in my 29g tank. I don't have any airstones or anything like that in my tank. I really want some bottom swimmers so i wanted to get a school of peppered corys. Probably just 6. Would it hurt to have that many fish in the tank? my tank looks pretty bare as it is so i want to add something to go on the bottom besides shrimp or snails. 

Any help would be appreciated

Oh you are far from being overstocked. You could easily add a few corys to your tank without any problems, provided you have the right substrate (sandy or very fine substrate so as to not damage their barbels). I would even recommend increasing your number of mollies (try to go for a 3 to 1 ratio, three females for every 1 male, that way the females aren't always being stressed out because of a chasing male).  

I actually have two female mollies so there is no male to chase them

GetItSahn said:

Hi, I currently have 6 guppies, 2 mollies, and 2 snails in my 29g tank. I don't have any airstones or anything like that in my tank. I really want some bottom swimmers so i wanted to get a school of peppered corys. Probably just 6. Would it hurt to have that many fish in the tank? my tank looks pretty bare as it is so i want to add something to go on the bottom besides shrimp or snails. 

Oh you are far from being overstocked. You could easily add a few corys to your tank without any problems, provided you have the right substrate (sandy or very fine substrate so as to not damage their barbels). I would even recommend increasing your number of mollies (try to go for a 3 to 1 ratio, three females for every 1 male, that way the females aren't always being stressed out because of a chasing male).  

Well, you're all set there then. In that case I hesitate to recommend you adding a couple more females to the tank, as there's the chance one or both may already be pregnant when you select them and then you'd be faced with Molly fry which, if they survived and grew, could overload your aquarium.

Jay0173 said:

Well, you're all set there then. In that case I hesitate to recommend you adding a couple more females to the tank, as there's the chance one or both may already be pregnant when you select them and then you'd be faced with Molly fry which, if they survived and grew, could overload your aquarium.

yeah, i'll just stick to my two. thanks for the advice!

Most reactions

Back