Tank Overstocked?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GetItSahn

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I currently have 6 guppies, 2 mollies, and 2 snails in my 29g tank. I don't have any airstones or anything like that in my tank. I really want some bottom swimmers so i wanted to get a school of peppered corys. Probably just 6. Would it hurt to have that many fish in the tank? my tank looks pretty bare as it is so i want to add something to go on the bottom besides shrimp or snails. 

Any help would be appreciated

I don't think 6 peppered corys would be overstocking at all. But how fast are the guppies reproducing is one thing to consider.

stanleo said:
I don't think 6 peppered corys would be overstocking at all. But how fast are the guppies reproducing is one thing to consider.
I currently have one pregnant female but to reduce stress i am leaving her in the tank instead of keeping her in a breeding box or something like that. I think that with cories and all the other fish in there most of the fry wouldn't make it so I won't be worrying about too much reproduction. I also have thought about giving away the fry or young guppys

Peppers are great, just give them places to hide out.
You could always only keep male guppies.

I made sure to create alot of hiding spots. I actually want female guppies just to have the experience of livebearers doing what they do best....making babies!

well if you have plenty of hiding spots im sure you will have some fry survive wether you like it or not.

ncguppy830 said:
well if you have plenty of hiding spots im sure you will have some fry survive wether you like it or not.

I don't mind if the fry survive, i'm just not keeping guppies for the sole purpose of breeding and getting fry.

Won't the adult fish all try to eat the fry? even if they try to hide, the fry still have to eat.

Well the adult guppy will... yes, try and eat the fry even the mother will try, poor things, but the fry will tend to stay on the bottom and are a little quicker then the older ones, which are more middle. Also, the fry will probably die getting their heads buried in the rocks looking for leftover food, before starvation.

But I may be wrong...

PlecostomusPerson said:
Well the adult guppy will... yes, try and eat the fry even the mother will try, poor things, but the fry will tend to stay on the bottom and are a little quicker then the older ones, which are more middle. Also, the fry will probably die getting their heads buried in the rocks looking for leftover food, before starvation.

But I may be wrong...
Thanks for answering both of my questions PlecoPerson!

PlecostomusPerson said:

But I may be wrong...
ive never seen that happen before but i guess its possible although i wouldnt worry about it.

Not overstocked at all. However if you are getting some peppered or really any type of cory you must have sand substrate. If you don't have it already you'll need to switch out whatever you do have. They are cute and very funny little fish but they sift through sand and even through their gills to filter and find food. On gravel they can't do that and it's really not natural for them. their burrowing and sifting is honestly one of the cutest things about them. 

Agent14 said:
Not overstocked at all. However if you are getting some peppered or really any type of cory you must have sand substrate. If you don't have it already you'll need to switch out whatever you do have. They are cute and very funny little fish but they sift through sand and even through their gills to filter and find food. On gravel they can't do that and it's really not natural for them. their burrowing and sifting is honestly one of the cutest things about them. 
I have been told several times that the sand substrate is "ideal" but it's not needed. I have a smooth small gravel in my tank. I have known 2 or 3 others that have kept different cories in gravel tanks and their barbels didn't suffer at all. Thank you for your concern though, they are quite cute!

GetItSahn said:
Hi, I currently have 6 guppies, 2 mollies, and 2 snails in my 29g tank. I don't have any airstones or anything like that in my tank. I really want some bottom swimmers so i wanted to get a school of peppered corys. Probably just 6. Would it hurt to have that many fish in the tank? my tank looks pretty bare as it is so i want to add something to go on the bottom besides shrimp or snails. 

Any help would be appreciated

Oh you are far from being overstocked. You could easily add a few corys to your tank without any problems, provided you have the right substrate (sandy or very fine substrate so as to not damage their barbels). I would even recommend increasing your number of mollies (try to go for a 3 to 1 ratio, three females for every 1 male, that way the females aren't always being stressed out because of a chasing male).  

GetItSahn said:

I have been told several times that the sand substrate is "ideal" but it's not needed. I have a smooth small gravel in my tank. I have known 2 or 3 others that have kept different cories in gravel tanks and their barbels didn't suffer at all. Thank you for your concern though, they are quite cute!

I wasn't really concerned about there barbels. I am not positive that hurts them either as long as the gravel isn't sharp. I was only suggesting it more for the fact that they actually suck it up and push it through their gills. It's more the gills I would think to be an issue...probably not something you would notice as the issue would be more internal. But I know what a PITA changing substrate is so I get it lol. 

Most reactions

Back