Tank Mates

Jay22

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 10 gallon tank currently cycling. Once it is done I am planning on putting a male betta in it. I would like tank mates with him. My thoughts are pygmy corrys. Does anyone else have ideas?

The tank is slightly planted with large silk plants.

Hardness is around 150.

PH is around 7.2.

Temperature can be anything above 78 degrees.

I keep Pygmy corys with my betta along with hatchetfish.no problems.its a 70 litre (uk)
Again it all depends on the betta though.

Generally speaking, Betta are not community fish, so it is best in its own space.  Having said that, some people have had luck with other fish, but it is always a risk.  The Betta may take a dislike to certain other fish, usually those with bright colours.  But in reverse, other fish frequently become fin nippers when placed in close confinement with a sedate fish with such flowing fins.  I would agree that the second risk would not occur with corys, because they do not have teeth; but it is still a risk that the Betta may not appreciate the company, and the pygmy corys do not spend most of their time on the substrate but are much more active in the upper water column, right in front of a Betta.

Byron.

In addition to Byron's comments, which I agree with, I'd say that 10 gallons is big enough for a betta, but not for tankmates, unless you're thinking of shrimp and/or snails.

I would go with snails, Maybe assassins. Depending on the Betta, Shrimp might be on the menu.

I have 3 cory cats with my male crown tail along with some red rams horn snails. They got along just fine and the betta is always flaring at the snails when they are climbing the glass. I have had some shrimp with a diff male betta but shrimp never live long for me :/ I know I will prob get a lot of hate for this but I have also kept a dwarf gourami with a male Betta, in a 10gal and they didn't kill each other. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THOUGH!!! To be fair, my mom got the male betta first then MY LESS THAN SMART older sister threw her gourami in there because he was "attacking the new rainbows" which is of course going to happen because they haven't even been together for 2 days!

But anyways, Corydoras are lovely and don't hurt anyone. And they can take a beating if it comes down to it. 
10/10 would recommend cory cats

I would recommend corydoras with almost anything. Nothing hurts them,they don't hurt anybody.

Jay22 said:
Hi,

I have a 10 gallon tank currently cycling. Once it is done I am planning on putting a male betta in it. I would like tank mates with him. My thoughts are pygmy corrys. Does anyone else have ideas?

Hardness is around 150.

PH is around 7.2.

Temperature can be anything above 78 degrees.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that temperatures above 78 are a bit high for cories. I also believe that bettas don't need it higher then 78. If your going to do betta with cory I would personally suggest something around 75-76 degrees.

You are right.

Also I think 6 corys and a Betta are too much for a 10 gallon, Corys are active fish Bettas are not, All that activity may stress the Betta.

Silk plants are decorations, I think you should get real plants.

Most reactions

Back