Tank Mates for Angelfish in a 55 Gallon

cockwheat

Reaction score
Hello all! First time posting here so I hope everything is formatted correctly. I currently have 2 large Veiled Angelfish (no idea if they are a spawning pair, I got them a year or so ago when I was just getting into bigger tanks but they have never showed any aggression towards one another, just very very rarely chasing each other around) and a Raphael Striped Catfish, who is about 5" long. They used to have a dwarf gourami as a tank mate, but he passed about a month and a half/two months ago. After monitoring for any disease/issues since his death and seeing nothing, I've been beginning to think about possible tank mates. I've been seeking advice across a few forums because I really don't trust myself when it comes to stocking and most of the advice I've gotten so far is a bit too general for me to work with. The only suggestion I've gotten so far I really like is a pair of Blue German Rams, and people have said they would do well with other small schooling fish as well such as rummynose tetras, platies, and things of the like. I am just curious to hear what others think would work in this setup. I've had cory catfish and sterbai suggested for bottom dwellers as well, but that just raises concerns with me as to whether my Catfish would bother them. I never see my guy move and I know they're mostly docile, but I've heard many people report them eating fish under an inch as a snack. The tank is 4 feet long, a foot deep, and two feet tall, give or take a few inches with each measurement, I'm not home to get exact numbers at the moment. I'm open to all suggestions and advice!

Be careful with any small tetra they will see them as a play thing. I like golden barbs, or something that will stay underneath the angels. Fish like Congo tetras which swim in the middle of the tank can just piss them off so be careful with that. Scissortail Rasboras could work if you can find some big enough. Remember be careful adding small fish into this setup.

Welcome to the forum!

As mentioned above the biggest risk will be adding new young fish especially with your Raphael catfish in there. I would suggest going for some larger schooling fish like head standers spotted, marbled or ternetzi would work. Bigger active catfish like hoplos or flag tail catfish would be a good option too. Maybe a larger tetra could work like bleeding hearts.

Do you know how hard your water is?

I have two raphaels. They'll be fine with large corys like sterbais. Mine share the tank with a few cory species (c. carlae, c. schulzeii, and CW045) and black phantom and rummy nose tetras. As adults, those tetras are fine, but I am sure the raphaels would eat juveniles. So buy adult-sized ones only. Also, I've learned the hard way that the raphaels' prowling, predatory behaviour stresses some species of fish out, even if the fish themselves are too big to be dinner. I have tried and failed to keep panda corys and harlequin rasboras in that tank.

I know angelfish can be aggressive and eat things too, but I've never had them. Listen to the advice of people who have!

Welcome to the forum!

As mentioned above the biggest risk will be adding new young fish especially with your Raphael catfish in there. I would suggest going for some larger schooling fish like head standers spotted, marbled or ternetzi would work. Bigger active catfish like hoplos or flag tail catfish would be a good option too. Maybe a larger tetra could work like bleeding hearts.

Do you know how hard your water is?
I can get exact numbers in a bit as I'm not home but I know the water in my area tends to be a bit hard even after treatment and the LFS around me use the same water so I know the fish I would purchase would be acclimated.

I can get exact numbers in a bit as I'm not home but I know the water in my area tends to be a bit hard even after treatment and the LFS around me use the same water so I know the fish I would purchase would be acclimated.
Unfortunately it’s not that simple the fish we keep are usually from Quite specific locations so you need to try and match that in your tanks keeping fish in the wrong type of water can take years off their life

Unfortunately it’s not that simple the fish we keep are usually from Quite specific locations so you need to try and match that in your tanks keeping fish in the wrong type of water can take years off their life
Oh yes I understand, I look back and see I should've worded my response better as it doesn't give off the message I intended at all. My LFS definitely do carry fish of all pH ranges and treat the water accordingly, but in my area it tends to be lots of work getting the water to be soft because of the natural hardness of the water here, so I'm looking for stocking options that are okay with a bit of a harder water (around 7.5ish after proper treatment) rather than a softer water. I'm just looking for some honest suggestions of some fish that would be okay in slightly harder water because sadly my LFS will try and sell you anything no matter what your situation is so they aren't always too much help when it comes to advice :/ I hope this clarifies what I meant!

Last edited:
When you say around 7.5ish, are you referring to the pH?

What we need is the GH (hardness) rather than pH. GH is more important to fish than pH.

Look on your water provider's website for hardness. You need a number and the unit of measurement (there are several) rather than some vague words.

What we need is the GH (hardness) rather than pH. GH is more important to fish than pH.

Look on your water provider's website for hardness. You need a number and the unit of measurement (there are several) rather than some vague words.
I will check my providers website. My test kit tests for pH and High Range pH, but I am currently not home to do a reading nor do I have my most recent numbers on me. Is there a test kit you recommend for testing GH?

Why is GH more important than pH. Considering if we can get tanks to be slightly acidic, the ammonia in the tank will turn to ammonium. Which is a good thing. And also the vast majority of fresh water fish prefer acidic conditions

GH is more important because fish have evolved to deal with a certain amount of minerals in the water. Hard water fish kept in soft water and vice versa will suffer mineral depletion or calcium deposits in their kidneys and won't live out their full life span. Fish can live in water outside their normal pH range with less damage.

Not all fish need acidic water - hard water fish come from water with basic pH.

If we maintain our tanks properly, ammonia is not a problem as there shouldn't be any.

@Retired Viking has a pen that's real nifty.
I have 2 pen meters one for GH and the other for PH. The GH pen is a TDS-3 which can also check the water temp. It has been very accurate. My PH is a ATC, PH-009 (I)A pen meter and also does a good job. I bought them from E-bay but Amazon also carries them. They were around 10 USD. I need to use them because I mix RO water with my treated tap water to soften my water for my tetras. I hope this helps.

Most reactions

Back